• Show
Clear All
  • MikeR
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006
    • Bayside, NY
    • Craftsman 21829

New blade for 21829, need opinions

I'm at the point where I believe that a new, good quality blade is in order.

Considering the following:

Freud F410 .126 kerf 40 tooth

Forrest WWII 10407100 .094 kerf 40 tooth

Both of these are advertised as being good 'combination' blades and can be purchased for around $90.

Preferences? or something else I haven't stumbled on?

TIA

Cheers,

MikeR
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Both of those are good general purpose blades that'll do a great job in a wide variety of materials and cuts.

The WWII you listed is a thin kerf which will remove less material and cause less drag on your saw, which will help extend your motor's life and create less sawdust.

The F410 is very similar in design to the WWII but is only available in a full kerf. However, the F410 has recently been replaced with the new P410 Fusion which offers a few innovations and advantages. For starters it's also a TK. Secondly it uses a Hi-ATB grind for the cleanest cut possible. It also features a double side angle to reduce burning, and it uses the finest grain carbide Freud has ever offerd, which will help it hold an edge better. Since it's in the same price range, I'd lean heavily in favor of this one if I were in your shoes.

Last edited by Knottscott; 11-29-2008, 07:24 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Cheeky
      • Nov 2006
      • westchester cty, new york
      • Ridgid TS2400LS

for a rip specefic blade, i have the freud LU87R010 on my ridgid ts2400....it's saaaweeeet.http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU87R010...7?ie=UTF8&s=hi

it can be had for under 30 bucks when Amazon has a sale.
      Pete

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by MikeR
        I'm at the point where I believe that a new, good quality blade is in order.

Cheers,

MikeR
        Just exactly what blade comes from the factory on the 21829?
        how many teeth?
        What's the label say? (e.g. Craftsman, Ryobi, or what???)
        what is the country of origin (printed on the blade, e.g. made in xxx)
        does it have laser cut relief holes?
        Picture would be entertaining.

Curious, to update the FAQ.
        Thanks.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

My blade that gets the most use is a Frued 80 tooth TK. I've also used Frued's 60 tooth TK.

Both work great for everything other than long or thick rips.
          The combo blade that came with my saw was a Frued 36 tooth IIRC and it proved to be in the same usefullness range. Great for everything other than long or thick rips. YMMV
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

I have a WWII TK, but while it was out being sharpened I picked-up a Diablo 10" combo for about $25 or $30 at HD. It works great, and was highly rated in that last blade review done in Wood Magazine or whatever that was.

Comment

• Curly Qsawn
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2004
              • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

The Ridge 2000 from Holbren has gotten good reviews. I'm waiting for the next sale.

Comment

• MikeR
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2006
                • Bayside, NY
                • Craftsman 21829

Not very happy with the blade that was supplied. Will post a pic and specs later today.

Cheers,

MikeR
                Last edited by MikeR; 01-15-2007, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Curly Qsawn
                  The Ridge Carbide 2000 from Holbren has gotten good reviews. I'm waiting for the next sale.
                  I'll second the plug for the Ridge Carbide TS2000 from Holbren...it's easily the equivalent of the WWII but with more carbide. It's also available in thin or full kerf like the WWII.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• MikeR
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2006
                    • Bayside, NY
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by MikeR
                    Not very happy with the blade that was supplied. Will post a pic and specs later today.

Cheers,

MikeR

Pic attached. Note that teeth are there but dark. In case the photo doesn't show, 36 tooth Carbide tipped, Made in China. Also warped so I'm returning to Sears.

The warping was the seeming cause of the initial squareness problems. I don't understand why, but as soon as I changed blades, problem disappeared.

Cheers,

MikeR
                    Attached Files

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I managed to enhance the pic a little.
                      The "manufacturer's part number" is 422010044 (got that off the Sears parts site)
                      rated for 6000 rpm
                      I'll have to check what the old Ryobi p/n was for the 36-T blade.

But interestingly, I note these facts:
                      1) on the 22811 Craftsman saw which was a BT3000 basically, the blade was labelled Craftsman
                      2) on the 21829, the blade is different than the Freud OEM blade shipped for many years with the BT3x AND also different from the later China-made blade shipped with late model BT3100s. The Frued-made blade was actually a very nice all-around blade and made very good cuts.

3) this blade isn't even as nice as the Chinese blade on the late-model BT3100s, which was made in china but was a very close copy of the Freud, including the bite-limiting fingers on the top trailing edge of the teeth and the laser-cut tension reliefs/expansion (some J-hook and S-shaped reliefs) joints. The blade pictured here is a pretty much featureless run of the mill no-name 36-tooth blade.

BTW, a blade can be warped if the arbor nut is overtightened. I generally tighten mine finger snug, then turn the wrench about 1/8-1/4 turn more. Fairly low torque.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-15-2007, 01:06 PM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Holbren
                        • Oct 2004
                        • Heathrow, FL.

Originally posted by Curly Qsawn
                        The Ridge 2000 from Holbren has gotten good reviews. I'm waiting for the next sale.
                        I'll probably run the blades on sale next week.
                        Brian
                        Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                        www.holbren.com

Comment

• rlah
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2006
                          • Indiana
                          • Craftsman 21829

Good saw blades (and resharpening)

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          3) this blade isn't even as nice as the Chinese blade on the late-model BT3100s, which was made in china but was a very close copy of the Freud, including the bite-limiting fingers on the top trailing edge of the teeth and the laser-cut tension reliefs/expansion (some J-hook and S-shaped reliefs) joints. The blade pictured here is a pretty much featureless run of the mill no-name 36-tooth blade.
                          LCHEIN - Thx for in-depth research on these blades!
                          I didn't know a good blade was made in China... seems the only good quality blades are made in USA and European group. I just bought an Hitachi 40T blade at Lowes - used a $10 coupon and got it down to $17 final cost. Although it looked a lot like my Freud 60T, the package said made in France.

Can anybody point to published review(s) of Ridge TS2000 10" TK blade? Is it in the same league as WWII and new Freud Fusion?

I'm *may* be willing to spend the money on these high-dollar blades but I need to research the resharpening cost with my local sharpener... haven't used him yet. Maybe this is stretching this thread too far but how often do you all resharpen? And how much do you spend?

Us new Craftsmen saw buyers are all in this boat - can't use factory blade at all - piece of junk.

rlah

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by rlah
                            LCHEIN - Thx for in-depth research on these blades!
                            I didn't know a good blade was made in China... seems the only good quality blades are made in USA and European group. ...rlah
                            I didn't say the china-made blade coming with late model BT3s was up to snuff with the original Italian-made BT3 blades.

For probably obvious reasons not too many people had both in new condition and could make a side-by-side comparison but there were as many complaints about the chinese blade as there were compliments about the Italian blade so I suspect the blade, though a nearly exact copy with reliefs and anti-kickback and hook angles, was not the same in terms of less obvious quality control items - e.g. flatness, balance, sharpness etc.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by rlah
                              Can anybody point to published review(s) of Ridge TS2000 10" TK blade? Is it in the same league as WWII and new Freud Fusion?

And how much do you spend?

Us new Craftsmen saw buyers are all in this boat - can't use factory blade at all - piece of junk.

rlah
                              I've owned both the Ridge Carbide TS2000 and the Forrest WWII. They're quite similar in design and cut quality. The TS2000 has thicker carbide and is honed with a finer grit. Both are very capable of glue line cuts, and both do a fine job in alot of materials. I had a tough time telling which blade made which cuts. Both are made in the US, both come in two kerf widths. Holben may be having a sale soon of the RC blades...I believe he offers 10% to BT members but I'm not certain.

I've not yet tried the new Fusion, though the concept has some merit IMO. Brian pointed out that the downside of the Hi-ATB is more rapid dulling than most other grinds. They claim their new carbide is finer and more wear resistant than any they've used previously...time will time!

I sharpen my blades every 12-24 months depending. Buying a dedicated 24T rip blade for really heavy ripping will extend the time between sharpenings on your good blade. Even though the TS2000 and WWII will both rip well to 2" or so, it definitely dulls them faster than routine cutting. Sharpening is fraction of the cost of a new blade ~ $15-$30 depending on where you take it and what they need to do. I'd suggest sending the Forrest or RC back to the manufacturer for sharpening.

Sears is currently offering the Freud TK306 for $17...it's not quite on par with with the WWII level, but $17 it should be very good, and should be a step up from the Hitachi. If you haven't used the Hitachi blade yet, I'd consider returning it and picking up the TK306. You could even return it, and take the jump to the top shelf blades...few people have regrets with that decision.

Comment

Working...