X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siliconbauhaus
    • Dec 2006
    • hagerstown, md

you'll probably laugh or think wtf

I know this is going to sound wierd but I really dont like the black / aluminium finish on my c'man saw table, the bt3000 grey finish is so much nicer looking.

I was thinking of removing the paint with a chemical stripper but I'm not sure if it will react to the aluminium so I wanted to ask if anyone here has stripped paint off of a similar material. The other alternative is I'll find a local company who can media blast it.

Cheers
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed
  • SARGE..g-47

Evening..

Not sure I understand the importance of such unless psychological but.. take two aspirin... wet it and rough it out with 400 wet-dry sand-paper. Dry it throughly and mask the saw. Shoot it with whatever grey you choose.. let it dry and cure for several days and then.. get back to the serious end of WW business. ha.. ha...

Regards...

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Just cover in it your favorite color of sawdust....
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

I agree with you. I wouldn't care for black either. Now a pale blue would look good. And yes it does sound kinda weird. No really I really wouldn't like black at all so don't blame you for wanting to change it. Hope it turns out OK though. Good luck.
        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

The existing paint has the best bond to the substrate, much better than you'd be able to achieve. You want to paint OVER the black. Like said above, wet sand, paint, enjoy.

Upload some photos when you're done.

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

It's also probably powder coating, which is plastic rather than actual paint. You would have a tough time getting anything to adhere to it other than more powder. Then you have to cure it in an oven or via infrared lights. You would need a very good PCing gun to apply an even and thourough coating.
            On the other hand, there is paint available nowadays that is for coating plastic. I don't think it would wear very well on a saw top and you would eventually get the original color shinning back through.
            For something more meaningful to do with your time, you could work on proving aliens exist.
            Lee

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

Contact Paper, the type with a nice floral design

Of course, just kidding.

Bruce
              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

MY initial thought was you should go buy a original BT3000 (or atleast a late model e.g. 2002? or so) if you like the way it looks.

The other answers, that the powder coating is hard to remove and hard to paint over, just reinforce that idea.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                  • Dec 2006
                  • hagerstown, md

Heheh I enjoyed some of the suggestions here.

I just realised that I wasn't completely clear about the parts of the saw I was referring too ( I'll blame the molson for that ) It's the aluminium top I want to refinish not the case itself.
                  パトリック
                  daiku woodworking
                  ^deshi^
                  neoshed

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

That makes a difference. I no longer think WTF.

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• lcm1947
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Austin, Texas
                      • BT 3100-1

Well seems like a lot of good spirited replies and suggestions to your serious question and that tells me one thing. It wouldn't be worth the time, money or energy to change it. Looks like black is what you'll have to live with I'm afraid. But who knows maybe a paint expert will come and actually have an idea that the others don't know about. Hey, it could be worst though - it could be pink. Not making light of your problem it's just I'm afraid the forum is right. Good luck though and sorry there's not an answer for you.
                      May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

I think in your geographical area you should be able to find some shop that would annodize it for you whaterver color you desired but I'm thinking the cost would be almost as much as getting Ryobi to custom make you a new top in the color of the BT3K!

Like Lee said your time might be better served proving the existience of Alien life!
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...