• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ofna89
    Established Member
    • Dec 2006
    • Portland Maine

Dado throat plates 21829

Like title says I need a throat plate for my 21829. Last night I made a zero clearance plate from lexan. Could I make a dado from this material also and if so do I do it the same way as the zero by raising the blade up through the lexan, or should I just cut out the middle of the dado plate with a jig saw? I checked local Sears and they have no dado plates for the 21829. Does anyone have a part number I can use. Thanks
  • Invader
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007

Or you could just score one for $15. I got this yesterday. Good and heavy duty.

Comment

• punch1
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2007

I'm sure this is an elementary questions, but that's alright coming from a novice like me. What is the advantage of a zero clearance plate over a stock one?

Pat

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by punch1
        I'm sure this is an elementary questions, but that's alright coming from a novice like me. What is the advantage of a zero clearance plate over a stock one?

Pat
        That's explained in the BT3 FAQ, found in the link below.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ars_lurker
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2006
          • Iowa
          • Craftsman 21829/'59 Delta Unisaw

I made mine from lexan and raised the stack through it just like the ZCTP I made for my regular blade.
          Make sure you go slow, it is removing much more material.
          Clamp a wood scrap on top of the new plate to make sure the lexan does not deform as you raise the blade.
          Lower the blade after you cut the slot. Let the lexan cool off for a couple minutes. Start the saw and raise the blade again. I found that the slot shrunk a little after it cooled off. This trimmed the edges nicely.

I have made 3 dado ZCTPs this way with excellent results.

Comment

• pber2025
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by ars_lurker
            I made mine from lexan and raised the stack through it just like the ZCTP I made for my regular blade.
            Make sure you go slow, it is removing much more material.
            Clamp a wood scrap on top of the new plate to make sure the lexan does not deform as you raise the blade.
            Lower the blade after you cut the slot. Let the lexan cool off for a couple minutes. Start the saw and raise the blade again. I found that the slot shrunk a little after it cooled off. This trimmed the edges nicely.

I have made 3 dado ZCTPs this way with excellent results.
            What tickness of lexan are you using? I was going to buy a plate for my BT3100 but it seems they are getting harder and harder to find, so I might have to make one myslelf.

Comment

• ars_lurker
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2006
              • Iowa
              • Craftsman 21829/'59 Delta Unisaw

pber,

I use 1/4" like the article from Lee Styron. My local glass shop had a remnant piece that was about 14"x18" and sold it to me for $5.

Comment

Working...