X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lance
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Haverhill, MA, USA.

Not sure if anyone else took jnam's suggestion to check out emachineshop.com, but when I designed a steel plate with two miter slots, the price came out to ~$900 each, if you buy 25. Couldn't find a price for having it done in cast iron. It would be cheaper to buy the cast iron router table extension I've seen recently. (MLSC? BenchDog? I forget.)

I have also been looking to see if any old table saws have miter slots in a cast iron extension wing. No luck so far, they all have them in the main table, and I think that would be prohibitively hard to modify to use as a MST.

Unless someone else has a better solution, I think the verdict is to wait until my woodworking can justify a darksider saw. In fact, it would probably be easier to modify the SMT to work with a darksider, thanto bring darksider advantages to the BT3*.

-Lance
    Ex-Armchair Woodworker and newb galoot.

Comment

• JSCOOK
      • Sep 2006
      • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by Lance
      Not sure if anyone else took jnam's suggestion to check out emachineshop.com, but when I designed a steel plate with two miter slots, the price came out to ~$900 each, if you buy 25. Couldn't find a price for having it done in cast iron. It would be cheaper to buy the cast iron router table extension I've seen recently. (MLSC? BenchDog? I forget.)

I have also been looking to see if any old table saws have miter slots in a cast iron extension wing. No luck so far, they all have them in the main table, and I think that would be prohibitively hard to modify to use as a MST.

Unless someone else has a better solution, I think the verdict is to wait until my woodworking can justify a darksider saw. In fact, it would probably be easier to modify the SMT to work with a darksider, thanto bring darksider advantages to the BT3*.

-Lance
      Still working on this ... haven't had the time during business ours to get a revision 2 quote, but a direct copy of the Dual Mitre Slot in steel was $80 each (for a lot of 25) plus delivery ... problem was shipping weight of about 30 lbs, so my vendor and I are looking at a revised version to lower both manufacturing cost & shipping weight (revised to a single slot section) ... then onto harder aluminum alloys ... will post when available ... sometime next week I'm hoping.
      Last edited by JSCOOK; 01-26-2007, 10:55 AM.
      "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
        • Dec 2006
        • hagerstown, md

I just came across a guys site up who made a mitre slot from maple. I've got now idea how durable it would be but it's certainly an option.
        パトリック
        daiku woodworking
        ^deshi^
        neoshed

Comment

Working...