X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shmish

table saw height

Hi,

I have a BT3100 and was thinking about building a cabinet for it. I'm interested in adding 4 casters for easier mobility and I'm thinking about lowering the table height. I'm about 5'5" tall, and was wondering what heights other people prefere for their table saws.

thanks!
  • JTimmons
    • Feb 2005
    • Denver, CO.
    • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

This is going to be one of those answers as to what you feel comfortable with. I like my tabletop lower about 4-5 inches below my waist. I feel I have better control that way, not reaching so much, but rahter just slightly bending over. Reaching on a table saw isn't a good thing, IMO at least.
    "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
    -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

A good friend once told me that the most comfortable height was best obtained by standing upright and getting a measure above the floor of where your hand meets your wrist. When I built my mobile cabinet, that's the measurement I used and it's perfect for me.

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

BT3100 out of the box stands 38" tall and it is the tallest saw amongst all saws I know. Most other saws stand about 34" - 35" tall. The typical kitchen counter is 36" and that one is standard. All cooks are using it even though some cooks are 5' tall, others are 6'6". Many workbenches are also 36" tall. In my opinion anything within the range of 34" - 38" is "reasonable" - the rest is a matter of personal taste. When I built my mobile base I decided that having all my surfaces at the same height was important, what exactly that height would be - was not that important, I would get used to it. I settled for standard kitchen counter height - 36". All my surfaces are now at that height and I am quite comfortable with it. I am 6'0.
        Alex V

Comment

• bigsteel15
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Edmonton, AB
          • Ryobi BT3100

I'm 6'5" and went with the same suggestion as Ray. Mind you that puts my work surfaces at 42" so not too many people will be asking to use my shop...
          Brian

Welcome to the school of life
          Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

I'm 5'9" with a bad back, so my saw is about 37" so I don't have to bend over. I'm in the process of building all my work surfaces the same height. If I have to bend over a little for a relatively short period of time, it's rather painful.

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

My BT3000 is at the stock height+ about 3/4" sitting on its mobile base. I keep it there because it is at the same height as my assembly bench that doubles as an outfeed table. The saw being that high also clears the bench I have on the side so I can cross cut longer pieces of stock.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

the BT at 38 inches is a little higher than most benches and other saws. But I have come to like the height (I am 5'7") at least in part because I have been wearing graduated bifocals for a number of years and I like the work a little closer to my eyes. I have built some accessory tables and my router table to the same height. For the router table it simplifies the bifocal wearer's problems of bending over and looking up (at the router below the table).
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...