• Show
Clear All
  • davwho
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2006
    • Petawawa Ontario
    • BT3100

dado set

well its that time of year coming,and the wife is asking me what i want,of the many,many things i want ,i would like a dado set ,can someone please tell me what works best with the BT3100 within a reasonable price,ive heard the freud SD206 is a good choice,please shed some light

Thanks
    Dave!!
  • LYU370
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Streamwood, IL.

I've got the SD206, works quite well, although the price seems pretty high right now. Also heard that the Avenger dado sets are pretty good as well. Stick with a 6" set instead of the 8" sets, clearance issues if I recall correctly.
    Andy

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Avenger is out of production - company closed doors. CAn't get anymore except on occassional rare clearance sales. Besides, it's plates and chippers never quite stacked up the way a dado's ought to.
      The link below my sig line to the FAQ will work for a few more days.
      It has answers about dados.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I have the SD208 8" set and it works fine. Had I known better I'd have gotten the 206. I can't see ever needing the extra dado capacity the 8" gives me. 206 does not have the potential clearance issue and is less mass for the motor to spin so it doesn't have t work as hard.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• scorrpio
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I have SD206. Excellent set, very clean cuts.

Comment

• davwho
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2006
            • Petawawa Ontario
            • BT3100

re. Dado set

Thanks guys ,the Freud SD206 it is

Comment

• gimpy
              Established Member
              • Nov 2004
              • Flagstaff, AZ.
              • BT3100

Loring, not to be too nosy, but, just curious. You said that link would last a "few" more days. You aren't leaving us or anything are you? Hope not.
              Hope it is just something to do with your sig or something.

Thx, Frank
              Frank, "Still the one"

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by gimpy
                Loring, not to be too nosy, but, just curious. You said that link would last a "few" more days. You aren't leaving us or anything are you? Hope not.
                Hope it is just something to do with your sig or something.

Thx, Frank
                Oh, My ISP is calling it quits so I'm losing my Web space on Dec 4.
                I guess I need to get on the ball and find a new ISP. I can change the link in my sig and on BT3 Central, to the FAQ, so it'll be OK, but there's too many other pictures I've posted here to change them all.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Cheeky
                  • Nov 2006
                  • westchester cty, new york
                  • Ridgid TS2400LS

does anybody have the Dadonator?

http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1167
                  Pete

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Cheeky
                    I don't own it, but have read positive comments from owners. But if I were looking that price range, I'd definitely consider the US made Ridge Carbide set over the Asian made Dadonator. Holbren's got it for $190 shipped, and it'll have the fattest top shelf carbide you've ever seen!

http://holbren.com/product.php?produ...1&cat=0&page=1
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by Dustmight
                      I don't own it, but have read positive comments from owners. But if I were looking that price range, I'd definitely consider the US made Ridge Carbide set over the Asian made Dadonator. Holbren's got it for $190 shipped, and it'll have the fattest top shelf carbide you've ever seen!

http://holbren.com/product.php?produ...1&cat=0&page=1
                      I was able to pick up that dado locally for $20 via a damaged freight store a few years back. Bought it for the radial arm saw. HOWEVER I have only seen it in 8", which you linked to. For the table saw, I would stick with a 6".
                      If there is a 6", would Holbren chime in?
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                        • BT3100

dado blade - delta 6"

i am looking at this dado set by delta, its for 30.00 only at rockler this thanksgiving friday sale only, will it fit into a bt3100?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...TOKEN=21169593

thanks

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                          i am looking at this dado set by delta, its for 30.00 only at rockler this thanksgiving friday sale only, will it fit into a bt3100?

thanks
                          The biggest thing to watch for, is the max rated RPM, if you have a BT3 saw. The BT3x turns at 5000 RPM max, most saws use 3600 RPM. Check the fine print on the saw body itself (could not read it in the enlarged picture link), you want to make sure it is good for 5000 RPM, minimum. Dodging little bits of flying carbide are not fun.

Other than that, this dado should fuctionally work fine. The smoothness of cut, the bottom soothness and the stackup tolerances of the plates and chippers I can't guess at.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• steve-norrell
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • The Great Land - Alaska
                            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by footprintsinconc

thanks
                            According to the "Details" page at the Rockler link, the blade is rated at 6000 rpm. Should be great in the BT3100.

Comment

• onedash
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2005
                              • Maryland
                              • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              Oh, My ISP is calling it quits so I'm losing my Web space on Dec 4.
                              I guess I need to get on the ball and find a new ISP. I can change the link in my sig and on BT3 Central, to the FAQ, so it'll be OK, but there's too many other pictures I've posted here to change them all.
                              My buddy has a webhosting company http://www.kalypsoweb.com/ and his prices are pretty cheap.
                              Its the first one I have ever had that I paid for and am happy with it.
                              I am trying to do CSS but that is kinda kickin my butt since I am using trial and error. I haven't messed with it a whole lot since I moved but still have the one running at the free place too.
                              YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

Working...