Lift mechanism/shaft stripped out, repair?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdherman
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2006

Lift mechanism/shaft stripped out, repair?

OK, new to forum, old to BT3000.

Too bad to hear of its demise. I bought mine in 1992. I take good care of tools, used it for all sorts of projects. From a custom q-sawn oak corner cab to a changing table for my daughter (who now turned 11 last week)

It has been getting harder to lift the blade. I should have known.

The threaded shaft that lifts the motor assembly was galling on the aluminum holder/housing. She stripped out last night. Yes, it has been up and down a LOT of times.....

Anyone know of a fix? I might even have a machinest bore out the housing and make a new threaded insert, but I bet that would not be cheap....

My local HD has the floor model BT3100 still left. Beat to crap, parts missing. But at $249, I might buy it. Still better than the alternative. I love my sliding table. That feature is NOT low end. Its revolutionary.

My first post here.....

Help!!!!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

the "easy way" to fix this is probably the helicoil method.
    You drill an oversize hole where the original hole was and then install a helicoil which is a threaded insert. Better than new because the threaded part is now steel.

Read more about it in the BT3 FAQ, linked below my sig line... below.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Brian G
      • Jun 2003
      • Bloomington, Minnesota.
      • G0899

Hello and welcome.

I had to make that repair a few years ago. (Note to the guy that borrowed the bit, tap, and helicoil inserts in the past year. . . .hope you got it fixed. . can I have my stuff back?)

It appears that parts are in sufficient supply now that it's far easier and even cheaper to order the part.

Go to: M and D Mower and put part number 4800031 into the search box. The result will return:

Search Result for the Part

You can't (I couldn't, anyway) buy the required drill bit, tap, and helicoil insert for that. Back when I made the repair, the motor bracket couldn't be purchased by itself; it came with a motor.

I wasn't perfect in drilling and tapping the hole for the insert. I lost about 1/8" of cut depth because it starts binding when I get to full height.
      Brian

Comment

• cdherman
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2006

4800031 part #

That price seems like an absolute steal, but it states that it weighs only 1.13 lb. Part number seems correct.

Would entail complete removal of the arbor, pully, all that stuff. Wonder if its worth it???? Suspect that the bearings would give trouble and my luck, shortly thereafter, the motor would die.....

And I had a project for this weekend....

New delta is $599 at Lowes......

Comment

• cdherman
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2006

Too good to be true...

The part from M&D mower, while listed as the same as for a BT3000, is certainly NOT the same part. It appears that it might work -- if I replaced the motor as well. The motor side of the mounting is all wrong.

Back to helicoil, or a new Delta. 8 days wasted......

Comment

• Brian G
            • Jun 2003
            • Bloomington, Minnesota.
            • G0899

I'm sorry to have given you bad advice. What was different?
            Brian

Comment

• cdherman
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2006

Differences

The depth to the bearing housing, from where the motor itself screws to the housing is different. Seems to me, the housing was designed for a different motor. I have a very eary saw, and I bet they changed motors somewhere along the way.

Or they just sent me a BT3100 part.

I see that the slide points looked differnt too, but I did pay them too much attention, as its clear that the motor won't work.

Brian -- no harm done (well, no harm done that was intended or preventable!!) I understand that the beauty of the internet is that you can get information about just about everything. I also understand that forums can give wrong information, even when all those involved mean well! You only tipped me off about a very valuable resource in terms of parts -- wasn't your fault that my particular part has been mis-labeled.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

IIRC early BT3000s were first produced with a 13 amp motor. They then switched to a 15 amp motor. This may explain the difference in housings.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...