X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • draghkar
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2006

Help! Need opinions and advice on used BT3000

OK, after giving my old craftsman saw back to my dad (I don't have room for it at my new place) I realized my new house needs some bookshelves, a bench...so I started to look for a more compact alternative to a big contractor saw. I found the cult here, and was convinced.

My excursions led me to the only HD with one BT3100 in stock. After a couple of days, they gave up...they couldn't find it. GRRR!

So I looked at craigslist. There I found a BT3000, with a vacum table, extended miter fence w/clamp, extra legs, outfeed table w/leg, dado and ZCTPs unused in the boxes. Not used much, but not taken care of (left in a damp garage covered in sawdust. $100 and I took it home.

Got my Johnsons, a scotchbrite pad, and some extra time, and started going to town. Tore it down, found some extra sawdust, started to clean, lube it up...that's when things started to get frustrating...

First, I found the blade was not the original...it was an oldham ripping blade. Oh well. I stuck a Freud 40 tooth LU on with the SD206 I just ordered from amazon. No harm, no foul.

I noticed the blade was getting harder and harder to move. Cleaned and lubed and recleaned the threads ...better, but the crank was spinning. Hmmm...ithe shaft is engaged, what is goin' on? Then I hear the "tink tink". I find a shim. Then the other one. Sheesh, I'm getting frustrated. OK, I just need to go to billious.com and order them this morning. Ah screw it, I'll upgrade to the BT3100 type.

Well, I call billious and whaddaya know, they can't do it...They send me to Ryobi.

Ryobi's online parts only show 1 shim and 1 spring shim in stock (1? for the whole of NA?). ARGH! Assuming the quantities are wrong, with new belts, the total is with shipping is $79!

Now, I'm a little frustrated. I try to be pennywise, but not pound foolish. I'm really wondering if I should just
    -use the accessories/parts I have and need
    -part out the rest and recoup some of that $100
    -and go buy the craftsman 21829...I saw it for $399 a couple days ago.

I'll have $214 ($100+35+79) and a bunch of time invested already, and I'll still have an old saw. That assumes there are NO OTHER problems with it. (should the blade adjustment crank spin when the pin is engaged? I still can't figure that out). I haven't started trying to align it yet, for obvious reasons. I thought I'd get there last night.

I'd be interested in getting opinions on this. Let me know what you think!
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Welcome to BT3Central, draghkar. It sounds like you got a great deal on that old BT3K, what with getting all the options and evertying. I think you're still in pretty good shape for the deal, even with the shim problem.

I recently had to replace the shims on my BT3000. Here is my thread on topic: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...highlight=shim

Here is blackwallnut's excellent thread on topic: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ighlight=shims

I chose to "upgrade" to the BT3100 shims, which also involved replacing the guide holder. It was a fairly straightforward process, although it required a little patience in getting the shims and holder in there properly. Hang in there, it looks like you've just abou got this thing where you wan it.

Here is what I ordered from Ordertree:

0181010314 SPRING SHIM $0.60 4 $2.40
    0181010110 GUIDE HOLDER BT3100 $15.83 1 $15.83
    SHIPPINGUS Standard Shipping $7.99 1 $7.99
    Last edited by JR; 11-02-2006, 01:06 PM.
    JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

with the wide table kit, float table and folding outfeed table you got way more than $100 worth of accessories not including the saw.

Assuming the motor operates, once you've got the shims/elevation fixed you should have a good saw. I don't understand why the handle just spins, though? Is that what you said? Set of Belts and shims don't sound like $79?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• draghkar
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2006

Let me clarify...

When there is too much binding (due to the shims being out) the wheel spins. It will move the motor up and down if I support the motor, but if the motor mount binds, the crank just spins on it's mount. The roll pin is engaged at this point...it appears the crank is turning on the shaft itself.

And yes, believe it or not, that was the total.

$2 for the shims
        $2 for the spring shims
        $16 for the Guide holder
        $42 for the 2 belts
        $13 for shipping

Maybe they added tax too? (that only comes up to $75).
        Anyways, I went to ordertree and passed on the belts (which means mine will probably break soon) and it was more like $26.

Thanks for the encouragement...I took a deep breath, and checked Ordertree. Ordertree still carries parts...the Billious guy made it sound like Ryobi took over ALL the parts distribution. I originally went thru Billious due to their left-coast location hoping for faster ship times.

I just have to have a little patience now.

Comment

Working...