• Show
Clear All
  • knimac
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2005
    • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3100-1

Help with 3100 Switch

Sunday, off switch wouldn't. Have seen here that I'm not the only one who has had this happen. Monday called Ryobi who could care less. They told me to pack up whole saw and take to a service centre, who would "fix" the switch. So, call Dixie Sales here in Canada, order replacement switch. Great service, switch received Wednesday morning. Only problem is switch appears to be from 3000. (Its a I/O rocker underneath a red paddle) Hooked it up and it works, but mounting holes are a different footprint. Not a big problem as I could just drill four new holes (or mount on a wood piece mounted to original holes in cabinet).

However, I have also read here about switch recall on original 3000s? Need your advice. Keep replacement and mount it, call Dixie Sales and get 3100 switch (if they have them) and expect it to fail again, or drop back ten and punt and figure out some after market substitute? I really enjoy the saw, but this faulty switch issue has me spooked.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by knimac
    Sunday, off switch wouldn't. Have seen here that I'm not the only one who has had this happen. Monday called Ryobi who could care less. They told me to pack up whole saw and take to a service centre, who would "fix" the switch. So, call Dixie Sales here in Canada, order replacement switch. Great service, switch received Wednesday morning. Only problem is switch appears to be from 3000. (Its a I/O rocker underneath a red paddle) Hooked it up and it works, but mounting holes are a different footprint. Not a big problem as I could just drill four new holes (or mount on a wood piece mounted to original holes in cabinet).

However, I have also read here about switch recall on original 3000s? Need your advice. Keep replacement and mount it, call Dixie Sales and get 3100 switch (if they have them) and expect it to fail again, or drop back ten and punt and figure out some after market substitute? I really enjoy the saw, but this faulty switch issue has me spooked.
    the first year bt3000s had a switch with an on and an off button and these were recalled, replaced with the rocker switch and red cover. this was 15 years ago. the rocker switch has had few reported problems in my obsevation.

recent bt3100s has had a spate of reports of switch problems. basically the swtch fails to turn off the saw afters its been running. apparently the switch contacts arc a bit due to startup currents and one day it welds the contacts together just a bit and it sticks on.

i have heard users open the switch and clean the contacts it goes back to working, you can parallel the second, unused set of contacts (for more current capacity), or just use that new set alone.

i have encouraged people to contact the consumer product safety commission at
    www.cpsc.gov/incident.html
    to report an product incident that may be unsafe if you have a switch stick in the on position.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bigfoot
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2006

I had this problem six months ago, and Ryobi seemed to care less, "take it 2 hours away to the service center"

I explained to them that I did not have this kind of time to spare, could not be without the saw for a week or so, and since it would run when plugged in, I would just keep plugging and unplugging. Of course, I also explained that this was certainly not safe, but if it was what they prefered, I would certainly take my chances. I THEN explained that my wife WAS the litigious type, and if this was what THEY wanted me to do, then I was certain she would gladly take care of things if anyone were to get hurt due to this situation.

After a pause, the telephone supervisor I was talking to asked if I thought I could replace the switch myself, I assured her I could, and had the switch at my door in 2 days.

Ironically, I just bought the 14" Ridgid BS, and the warranty information that came with the saw states that warranty parts will be either replaced at their centers, or sent to the owner to replace, owners choice.
      The voices made me do it.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        the first year bt3000s had a switch with an on and an off button and these were recalled, replaced with the rocker switch and red cover. this was 15 years ago. the rocker switch has had few reported problems in my obsevation.

recent bt3100s has had a spate of reports of switch problems. basically the swtch fails to turn off the saw afters its been running. apparently the switch contacts arc a bit due to startup currents and one day it welds the contacts together just a bit and it sticks on.

i have heard users open the switch and clean the contacts it goes back to working, you can parallel the second, unused set of contacts (for more current capacity), or just use that new set alone.

i have encouraged people to contact the consumer product safety commission at
        www.cpsc.gov/incident.html
        to report an product incident that may be unsafe if you have a switch stick in the on position.

I actually wondered if this was why they didn't come out with a new model, when they pulled the old, and switched to the Craftsman one. (according to another poster, one was in the works, did legal kill it?)

The original posters description, matches what appears on Sears webpage when you search for the 21829.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• wouldchuck
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2005
          • Richmond, VA, USA.

faulty switch redesigned

I had a problem with my switch not cutting off, which I reported to the consumer product safety commission. Eventually I got a call back from a man named Wayne Hill who works for a company called Techtronics which, as I understand it, contracts for Ryobi. He sent me a new switch, which has apparently been re-designed with stronger springs and also the contact surface is a material which can withstand higher temperatures. I installed the new switch last week and it works fine (so far). Mr. Hill's phone number is 1-800-323-4615, ext. 3277. He may be able to get you a switch or tell how to get one.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by wouldchuck
            I had a problem with my switch not cutting off, which I reported to the consumer product safety commission. Eventually I got a call back from a man named Wayne Hill who works for a company called Techtronics which, as I understand it, contracts for Ryobi. He sent me a new switch, which has apparently been re-designed with stronger springs and also the contact surface is a material which can withstand higher temperatures. I installed the new switch last week and it works fine (so far). Mr. Hill's phone number is 1-800-323-4615, ext. 3277. He may be able to get you a switch or tell how to get one.
            TechTronics Inc is the parent company of Ryobi, I believe.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...