• Show
Clear All
  • ART-EDNA
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • AXTELL, NEBRASKA, USA.
    • RYOBI BT3100

Bt3100 Router/fence Question

I have a router mounted on my saw and the fence on the right side of saw blade but on the left side of router bit standing in front of saw table-in this config. you feed the work for router from back to front-but would like to move fence on the right side of router to use more table area,then which is the correct feed direction back to front? or front to back?
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

The work must be fed into the cutter from right to left when inverted in a table, hence with your fence closer to the saw, from back to front.

If you move the fence to the other side of the cutter, the cutter will still be travelling anti-clockwise, the work still needs to be fed from the right, so this time it would be from front to back. Perhaps this diagram helps?

Click image for larger version

Name:	rvfb.gif
Views:	1
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	779769

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

For full dado cuts, it does not matter which side the fence is on, but once the fence is used for a rabbet or moulding cut in which the fence is covering part or most of the router bit, then the feed should be against the direction of the turning router bit.

If standing in front of the saw and the fence is on the right side of the bit which turns in a counter clockwise direction, you would feed front to back.

If standing in front of the saw and the fence is on the left side of the bit which turns in a counter clockwise direction, you would feed from back to front.

Situation: The bit turns counterclockwise, half of the bit is hidden by the fence, (the fence is covering most of the bit) you want to ALWAYS feed against the direction of the turning bit. Safe
      IF you feed with the direction of the turn, you would make your router become a slingshot and your wood would be the rock(et). Dangerous
      Last edited by leehljp; 10-21-2006, 11:53 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I might add in Rays Drawing the following caution.
        The Bit can be situated so that it cuts on both sides of the bit as it would as shown.
        Also the bit can be buried partially in the fence (provided there's an opening for it) so that it cuts on one side only and is turning into the wood feed direction.
        The bit should never be placed so that the wood is between the fence and the bit and only one edge of the bit contacts the wood. as someone pointed out this makes the router into a slingshot (or one of those hot wheels launchers).

Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by ART-EDNA
          I have a router mounted on my saw and the fence on the right side of saw blade but on the left side of router bit standing in front of saw table. . .
          Could you pass along some information about the router fence? I have a similar setup, but have not been happy with the cost of the fences that are available on the market and want to avoid the bulkiness of some of the shop-made router fences that attach to the BT3100 rip fence. I really need some good leads.

And, Ray, thanks for the info about direction of feed. My old brain gets confused when a clockwise rotation is flipped over.

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by steve-norrell
            Could you pass along some information about the router fence? I have a similar setup, but have not been happy with the cost of the fences that are available on the market and want to avoid the bulkiness of some of the shop-made router fences that attach to the BT3100 rip fence. I really need some good leads.

And, Ray, thanks for the info about direction of feed. My old brain gets confused when a clockwise rotation is flipped over.

SHAMELESS PLUG: www.blackwalnutjigs.com/routerfence.asp
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• steve-norrell
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • The Great Land - Alaska
              • BT3100-1

Thanks to ART-EDNA and BlackWalnut for the information on router fences.

I have mounted a small router table (Woodpeck 18 x 22) (http://www.woodpeck.com/2218table.html) on the left side of the saw and would like to use a router fence that is independent of the saw's fence. Also, I would like to avoid any size considerations created by large router fences (with full acknowledgment of the high quality of the work building them).

I tried using the Ryobi router fence that came with the accessory kit. It worked, but just barely, and I am unable to recommend it or to get enthusiastic about it.

I have ordered a ProFence 28 that should mount in the slots on the Woodpeck router table. See: http://www.benchdog.com/profence.htm. I'll know how it works in a few days.

Then, back to making saw dust.

Comment

Working...