• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NJFrank
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • NJ, USA.

Re: Miter Guages

This question is triggered by the Miter Slot Poll thread. I know from reading that thread that a few folks here have gone to using the miter slots instead of the SMT.

I was thinking of doing this also. Currently the Osborne EB3 http://www.osbornemfg.com/close-up.html is on sale at hartville for 109.00. Do you folks that think this miter would work well on the BT3? since the BT3 Miter slot is not a t track, would that be an issue.

Or would the Incra V27 be sufficent, obviously the Osborne is a step up.

Thanks all
  • softop41
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Plainfield, IL, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Incra V27

I've had the INcra V27 for almost 2 years and it's ben that long since I used my SMT. It always seemed to be out of alignment a bit every time I wanted to use it. To me, a standared miter gage is just more convenient. The concept of the SMT is good but I just tired of fiddling with it.
    Jerry
    Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I also have and use a V27 and find it to be a great accessory. That osborne looks good too. The only trouble with using a standard miter gauge with the bt is that you can easily mill out the miter slots. wax them before use, and keep after it.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've got an Incra V27 with a Hartville fence that I like better than my EB-3. My EB-3 was very problematic early on and Osborne's CS wasn't real good. It took over a year, but finally got the corrected parts so it performs properly.

I like the Woodhaven Deluxe better than either. If $109 is your max budget, try to find an Incra 1000SE on sale.

Shopping.com is a leading price comparison site that allows you shop online for the best deals and lowest prices. You can read unbiased product reviews and compare prices online. Online shopping has never been as easy!

Shopping.com is a leading price comparison site that allows you shop online for the best deals and lowest prices. You can read unbiased product reviews and compare prices online. Online shopping has never been as easy!
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Another vote for the V27 here. I made my own miter extension and initially used the Rockler (blue) miter track. This is a standard (non-tee) track. I was stunned the first time I tried the V27 in it. In some spots there was slop, binding in others. The tolerances must have been pretty sloppy.

I was doing google research and I was stunned by the # of people that complained their miter slots on high-end cabinet saws were poorly machined. A common thread seemed to be that Incra products were of very high quality, though. I found Incra made a tee-type miter track so I made a new miter extension table and used the Incra track. The difference between the Incra and Rockler is amazing. Perfectly fluid, no slop, no binding.

I've since used Incra miter sliders to make a sled, and I'm very happy with the performance of the sliders, too.

My miter extension attaches using T-bolts from the bottom (using a plywood bracket). I can remove and replace it and align it to .001" in approx. one minute by using the sled as a guide.

I think I will, however, make a new miter extension that extends beyond the front of the saw by 6" or so. I never really use the fence on that side of the blade anyway.

Edit: Oh, and I have found that I can use 3/4" plywood to make fences for the V27. I just cut a T-slot in the front AND back. You'd think 3/4" plywood wouldn't be enough for back to back T-slots, but it does work. Still plenty stuff. The one if the picture is a cut-off, but I have another piece that is 30" long and is easy to exchange w/ the shortie.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by cgallery; 10-16-2006, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I have the Woodhaven miter guage and love it. However I have two BTs and find the accuracy of the SMT dead on, so I quit using the miter guage on the TS after I bought the BT.

Before buying the BT, I used and a swore by the Woodhaven MG. One difference in mine and the picture in the link below is that I have a 12 inch fence with it.

Woodhaven manufactures quality woodworking tools & accessories in Durant Iowa. Contact us for any special woodworking jig or fixture that you need.
            Last edited by leehljp; 10-17-2006, 01:19 AM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Howard
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Plano, Tx.
              • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

I recently got the Jointech sliding miter table and it works like a dream. The fence pivots and maintains its zero clearance no matter where you put the angle. You can cut miters using the top scale exactly the same length each time using the stop. It was kind of pricey but it works well so there is value in that. Now I have an Incra 1000SE I need to sell if someone is interested.
              Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
              - Mark Twain

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

miter gauge

I found out early on with the bt3100 and the smt that I did not like it!
                I have 2 of the dual miter slot tables on my saw and I use the Incra V-27
                and love it! I learned years ago to use a miter gauge in high school shop class
                and it is what I'm used to...now I don't want to change. I'm comfortable
                with it, in my opinion the best miter gauge made, and you can't beat the price...about $59.00. eezlock

Comment

Working...