• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom H
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006

Sears table saw

All,

Sorry if this should be in another forum...it seemed appropriate here.

I decided the saw you all like was the right one for me...never owned a table saw before, but the BT 3100 looked like a good answer for my limited space, but with some nice features.

So...I called Ryobi, and they are no longer making the BT 3100 (I'll wager most members are already aware). You've got to wonder what Home Depot or Ryobi's angle is here...things that make you go "hhhhmmmmm."

The other Ryobi models at HD don't look like they come close to the BT 3100.

So my questions are:

Has anyone used the Sears copy of the BT 3100? (I forgot the model #, but it has been mentioned in this forum).

Does anyone know of links to reviews of the Sears model? Epinions has quite a few reviews on other saws going back to 2000 or earlier, but I didn't see any on this model. Articles from woodworking magazines would be nice to look at as well.

What additional features are included with the Sears model that bring the cost up to $450? Does it include the kit (router starter kit?) that HD sold for $100? Other features?

If the BT 3100 were still being manufactured, I'm about %95 sure it would be the one I would buy. The problem with going to Craftsman, although it looks like the same table saw, is that there is no history for this saw as extensive as the BT 3100, and I don't think it has become popular enough to have it's own website.

My concern with buying a used or NIB BT 3100, aside from having to search for one, is that service and parts for a discontinued model would be a challenge, while Sears is just down the road from home.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

BTW, I complained to HD and Ryobi, by email as well as on the phone. The gal at Ryobi couldn't help laughing, and said she has heard it from other customers.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i think it's like the 21829.
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cat=Table+Saws

The extra cost is the folding, rollaway base and well, the "revered" Sears Craftsman name .

Basically its a Ryobi BT3100 with the exception of the base, cosmetics, Aux table and the blade. The Auxiliary table has a miter slot built in which is debatable as to whether its easily alignable to use with the blade or for routers only. Some say they use it with the blade but I don't see how it can be aligned properly for good cuts.
    Also the aux table router mounts directly to the table, not to a mounting plate.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-29-2006, 10:58 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• oakchas
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Jefferson City, TN, USA
      • BT3000

HD is selling them (BT3100) online at Homedepot dot com... if they actually have them in stock? They are a clearance item, so you cannot order them thru stores or for delivery to stores. Search for Ryobi table saws, you get them all including the BT3100.

The HD online route may be the way to go. even with shipping, I think it's less than the Craftsman suggested retail at sears.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The 21829 is made by Ryobi for Sears and actually shares a number of the same parts that are interchangeable AFAIK. I've seen on sale before as low as $340.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• prlundberg
          Established Member
          • May 2006
          • Minnesota
          • Craftsman 21829

I just took delivery of my 21829, purchased in large part to what I found while lurking on this site. The main differences from the BT3100 are the coated table surface, router table with miter slots, and mobile base. I think the SMT and rails are a bit longer too but not sure on that.

Must be pretty popular, it was on backorder and I had to wait about 6 weeks for it.

I love the mobile base. Not that the BT3100 is a heavy or overly large saw to start with, but it definately saves space and makes it easy to move around. It does lose some stability though. And don't mistake this for a contractor saw that you can toss in the back of a pickup and abuse. You need to be careful when moving it.

My 20 year old router mounts directly to the table. It's also a Craftsman, but there are so many holes in the table I would think it should accomodate most.

Don't pay full price. It goes on sale on just about a monthly basis. Look for Craftsman Club (free to join - ask at the store) promos. I paid about $375 with tax for mine after sale price and Craftsman Club discount. At that price, I think this saw is a good deal. At $450+tax I think there are other options to consider, especially if you don't need a router table or portability.

I was torn between buying this saw and a Craftsman hybrid, which I feel is a better overall saw and also a great deal when on sale. But for my use and needs I think the 21829 will serve me well. It should be accurate and flexible, but probably not as durable as a hybrid. And the best support for any saw I have ever seen can be found right here.

Phil
          Phil

Comment

• Tom H
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2006

Thanks for all of the responses!

Phil, you're definitely right...I need to wait until it's on sale and use the Club Card. I looked at the saw the other day at Sears, and signed up for it.

I didn't realize when I sent the original message that there is a huge amount of information about the 21829 here...tried the "search" and there is enough to read for quite a while.

There are no BT 3100's anywhere near me (even if HD has any left at all), so this will probably be the answer.

Thanks again.

Tom

Comment

• mmeyerkopf
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2006

I Also Bought The Sears

I was all set to buy the BT 3100 when what do you know - it can't be had (except for a floor model which was really beat up and missing lots of parts.)

I then went ahead and bought the 21829. It is absolutely great. I love the Miter Gauge (a touchy subject here) and the portable stand works for me. It really performs better than I had hoped. Once the rails are set up it cuts perfectly withou any more adjustments. I think the extra features (Miter Slots, Router Table/Kit and Portable Stand) are worth the money. I paid $389 after a 10% Sears credit card discount and an additional $15 for signing up for a Sears Master Card.

I am very impressed with its quality and refinement. I know that it is not a true contractors saw that may put up with constant jumbling in the back of a truck, but I believe that properly cared for it will do everything I will need to do and then some. (And it even allows me to pull my car into the garage!)

Comment

• Micham59
                Forum Newbie
                • Oct 2006
                • N.E. Ohio
                • bt3100

I found a bt3100 at a HD. I made some calls to different HDs and I found one store that had one in stock. It was on clearance for 239.00. Maybe you could go this route.

Comment

• Tom H
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2006

mmeyerkopf,

I checked your review in another thread and it gave me more incentive to get the 21829. I signed up for the Craftsman Club, and asked the salesman at Sears if I could order the saw (several weeks back order) and get the best price for it once I got the CC card. Evidently, there is only a 30 day price match guarantee, and the CC takes about 8-10 weeks for the loop to close. Since the CC price will probably be better than the sale price (it was $399, you've probably seen it at the Sears site) I decided to wait.
                  I don't know why Sears won't let you become an instant member of the CC. They would have my money now if they would simply let you sign up online

Tom

Comment

• prlundberg
                    Established Member
                    • May 2006
                    • Minnesota
                    • Craftsman 21829

I was able to sign up for the Craftsman Club at the store and get the current CC discount right away. It probably just depends on who you talk to.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy at $399 though. That's a fair price. I had to wait over 2 months to get the price I did.

I find it frustrating to shop at Sears. You can find some great deals if you are patient, but regular prices are usually too high.

Phil
                    Phil

Comment

• broschultz
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2006

sears 21829

Does the sears 21829 have a riving knife? I'm looking to buy a table saw and waiting for the sears model to go on sale before making a final decision between it and a jet that is on sale for $400 at a local tool store.

Comment

• JR
                        The Full Monte
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Eugene, OR
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by broschultz
                        Does the sears 21829 have a riving knife?
                        Yes, it has the same one as on the BT3100. It works fine, but has limitations, such as pawls that can mark the wood and it must be removed for non-through cuts such as dadoes.

Many buy the aftermarket Shark Guard, made by BT3Central member, Stytooner. With it you can get improved dust collection and tool-less removal of the top parts, leaving only the splitter, useful for those dado cuts.

JR
                        JR

Comment

• Tom H
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2006

After waiting about seven weeks for my club card, I called the Craftsman Club help line and.....I wasn't "in the system."

I went to my local Sears, and was happily surprised that they were willing to give me the club price anyway. Paid $350, and the saw should be delivered to the store on Dec 6th. The salesman told me the back order had been as long as six weeks, but evidently they have been selling lke crazy, and it sounds like production, or delivery efficiency, has picked up.

My holiday schedule at work is pretty laid back, lots of "half days" and four day weekends. Hopefully time to learn how to use my new equipment.

I really appreciate all of the feedback and advice. This is a great website.

Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Tom H

I went to my local Sears, and was happily surprised that they were willing to give me the club price anyway. Paid $350, and the saw should be delivered to the store on Dec 6th. The salesman told me the back order had been as long as six weeks, but evidently they have been selling lke crazy, and it sounds like production, or delivery efficiency, has picked up.

yeah? maybe because all the bt3100 production has been diverted from HD?
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...