• Show
Clear All
  • Howard
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Plano, Tx.
    • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

blade wobble on my BT 3100

It finally cooled off enough to dust off the BT3100 and begin some projects. The last thing I did with it several weeks ago was to install a ZCTP that came with the machine. It was working fine the last time I turned it on. However, I was getting ready for my first cut of the day, turned it on, and heard this awful racket. Turned it off, removed the ZCTP and then turned it on and off again quickly. The blade had a slight wobble to it. Very strange. I thought maybe I had somehow warped the blade so made a trip to Rockler and got a Forrest WWII thin kerf blade figuring that the blade will be useful when I am able to move up TS wise to a larger machine. Installed it with a blade stabilizer, turned it on and... same thing! Now I'm thinking I have arbor problems. However, I haven't done anything that I know of that could cause the arbor to be bent. Why would the arbor suddenly be outta kilter and what should I do to correct it? What else could be the problem?
    Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
    - Mark Twain
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

It is often a problem with sawdust on the spacers or washers (clean everything with a little Formula 409).

For me, I had a spacer that wasn't straight and was causing it. To check your spacers, put them on a flat surface (granite counter top is good), and center a good straight edge across the top of it. If one end of the straight edge is higher than the other, the spacer isn't flat.

Finally, I remember one user mentioning one of his belts wasn't seated properly and was causing wobble. I suppose if the unit was working the last time you used it and stopped working some time since then, it is possible one of your belts broke and you are getting uneven tension on the arbor.

Most likely is the spacers or blade washers, though.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

one of the common reasons for blade warpage is people who overtighten their arbor washer. It should be snug and a little more (it's self tightening), not a "death grip" as some one put it.

Make sure the arbor spacers are clean as stated before but if you just removed and replaced the blade and have not taken the spacers off I doubt that's your problem.

Blade stabilzers? I have no use for those **** things. No one with a BT3 has ever said here that it has helped their blade. They're expensive and reduce your saws cutting capacity as well.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Howard
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Plano, Tx.
        • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

Problem solved. took the blade off, cleaned the spacers, put it back on. Now it tracks true. I never thought that a lust saw dust could cause this problem. Bought a great blade for "nothing". Oh well, it will serve me well for many years, just like the BT!
        Last edited by Howard; 09-10-2006, 09:13 PM.
        Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
        - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...