• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glencross
    Established Member
    • May 2005
    • canoe, british columbia, Canada.

smt problem

after many years of faithful service, my 3000 is starting to act up!!
    I recently noticed that i was not getting a true cut when ripping: it was always off a tad.
    i have found what i think is the problem.. when i install the mitre bar(?) with the round thingee in it's hole, the reading on the right hand side is 4 degrees but if i set the left hand side to 4degrees, it gives me an inaccurate cut...so...what i have done is to set the left hand side to 3 degrees and then all is ok and the cut is accurate. the smt has no slop in it and slides easily so it does not appear to be the smt fault....any one got any suggestions as to what i can do other than what i am doing?
    thanks
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by glencross
    after many years of faithful service, my 3000 is starting to act up!!
    I recently noticed that i was not getting a true cut when ripping: it was always off a tad.
    i have found what i think is the problem.. when i install the mitre bar(?) with the round thingee in it's hole, the reading on the right hand side is 4 degrees but if i set the left hand side to 4degrees, it gives me an inaccurate cut...so...what i have done is to set the left hand side to 3 degrees and then all is ok and the cut is accurate. the smt has no slop in it and slides easily so it does not appear to be the smt fault....any one got any suggestions as to what i can do other than what i am doing?
    thanks
    This is covered in the BT3 Frequently Asked Questions. You need to line up the orange indicator with the miter angle, not the back of the miter fence bar. Shown below at 30°.
    This will also make the zero degree reading work correctly.
    Only use the scale opposite the hole you used for the pivot, ignore the other scale unless you used the hole on the opposite side of the SMT.

I tihnk you meant crosscutting rather than ripping. And It's probably been this way ever since you got this saw unless you recently forgot to use the orange thingy.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-21-2006, 12:30 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• glencross
      Established Member
      • May 2005
      • canoe, british columbia, Canada.

smt problem

thanks lchin for your reply...i have never used the orange thingy in 7 years!!! but i will start today and we will see what happens!

Comment

Working...