• Show
Clear All
  • prlundberg
    Established Member
    • May 2006
    • Minnesota
    • Craftsman 21829

Craftsman 21829 Concerns

Hi, I'm new here but have been lurking for some time. This site helped me to decide on buying a BT3100, but alas, when I went to HD they were no longer there. I then decided to check out the 21829 but I have a couple concerns about it.

The SMT does not seem to hold its position (angle) all that well. Even when I tightened the knob so hard I almost couldn't release it, I found it relatively easy to move and had more play than I expected. I also noticed the same thing on Craftsman's next model down, the 21806. Is this an issue when the saw is actually in use? I don't see any mentions of it here but it just didn't seem to me like it would hold its posistion very well.

The mobile base does not seem all that sturdy. Of course, most of the saws on display were not that sturdy due to poor assembly. Is anybody here using one?

Right now I'm waiting for it to go on sale again, it seems to sell for around $400 once in a while and I'm not in a hurry. But if anybody could address my concerns I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Phil
    Phil
  • gmack5
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

The Miter Fence on the Ryobi and the 21829, sold by Sears, have TWO points that lock the Fence in place, one point is the Knob and it's attendant Bolt that passes thru the Table top, the other point is a Pin that sets in a socket near the edge of the SMT. The Fence pivots on that Pin and is locked in place by tightening the Knob.

If the Pin is NOT in it's Socket, you cannot keep the Fence locked down because it'll pivot on the bolt as you apply pressure to either end of the Fence.

It isn't necessary to use excessive tourque on the Knob to lock the Fence in place when it's set up correctly.

My guess is that the Pin was NOT in it's Socket or was missing. This is a common occurance on Display BT3X00's.

BTW, Welcome to the "Family"!
    If you have additional questions or concerns, ask away.
    Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
    Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
    George

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by gmack5
      The Miter Fence on the Ryobi and the 21829, sold by Sears, have TWO points that lock the Fence in place, one point is the Knob and it's attendant Bolt that passes thru the Table top, the other point is a Pin that sets in a socket near the edge of the SMT. The Fence pivots on that Pin and is locked in place by tightening the Knob.

If the Pin is NOT in it's Socket, you cannot keep the Fence locked down because it'll pivot on the bolt as you apply pressure to either end of the Fence.

It isn't necessary to use excessive tourque on the Knob to lock the Fence in place when it's set up correctly.

My guess is that the Pin was NOT in it's Socket or was missing. This is a common occurance on Display BT3X00's.

BTW, Welcome to the "Family"!
      If you have additional questions or concerns, ask away.
      I agree with Gmack's thoughts exactly. That is a very common mistake in BT3100 display setups.

The 21806 is not a BT3x family member though it may be a lower model made by ryobi. Major differences and no shared parts.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...