• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • victorm385
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2004
    • Sandy, Utah, USA.

Cutting rails

I need to cut 10" off a set of rails for my BT3100. What do I use to make the cut?

Also, 10" pieces aren't much, but, if anyone wants them they can have them for the postage.
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I went the slow route with mine and used my Bosch jig saw (with a metal cutting blade). You could also use a reciprocating saw if you are carefull. A hacksaw would work. Some cut aluminum on a CMS or the BT but I did not want to risk damaging a blade.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JimD
      I went the slow route with mine and used my Bosch jig saw (with a metal cutting blade). You could also use a reciprocating saw if you are carefull. A hacksaw would work. Some cut aluminum on a CMS or the BT but I did not want to risk damaging a blade.

Jim
      That pretty much covers it.
      I'd personally not hesitate to cut two rails on my CMS.
      The carbide teeth go through aluminum like butter,
      you'll have beautiful square-end cuts with clean edges (unlike a hacksaw),
      just be prepared to clean up.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        I'd personally not hesitate to cut two rails on my CMS.
        The carbide teeth go through aluminum like butter
        +1 on this. I have actually used my CMS to cut a set of BT rails, as well as other aluminum extrusions like T-bolt track. I did use the stock blade (Delta) rather than the much better Forre$t Chopma$ter that is normally on the saw, but it worked beautifully.

One important point: clamp the rails down securely. There will be a tendency for them to self-feed (move laterally) into the spinning blade, which could result in an unsquare cut. Clamping will prevent that.
        Larry

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

A use for those 10" rails . . .

Originally posted by victorm385
          I need to cut 10" off a set of rails for my BT3100. What do I use to make the cut?

Also, 10" pieces aren't much, but, if anyone wants them they can have them for the postage.
          I had my extension rails cut to 10" and 31" (by a friend with a band saw). I used the hinge sets from T-Nuts to attach the 10" rails to left side and the new length comfortably holds an accessory table and SMT. The extension can be folded down when necessary.

I also used a piece of a steel bar (attached with machine nuts to the small t-slot on the outside of the rear rail), about 1/8 x 1/2 x 6(L) to stiffen the hinged joint. This is in addition to the rail extension hardware that come from Ryobi or third party vendors.

Regards.

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

Split mine with another fellow, cut them with a CMS. I've also done a TON of cutting of aluminium with a SCMS. It does indeed cut with little issue.

I did use a fairly cheap carbide tipped blade though, as I didn't want to ruin my good freud blades.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• Rob R
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • West, Michigan.

yup...use your chop saw with the cheapest/least used blade you have. any carbide blade will cut it easily

Comment

Working...