• Show
Clear All
  • Howard
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Plano, Tx.
    • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

hmmm. it doesn't add up.

I headed over to my local Rockler store this weekend and they had the last Avenger 6" dado set under the counter so I relieved them of it. I needed to do a series of 3/4" dados and I didn't want to fool with my router I had all set up for something else. The instructions said to use the outside, inside and 4 1/8th chippers to get the 3/4 I was looking for. Let's see... 4/8's plus 2/8ths equals 6/8ths - 3/4" - Yep! That was it! Or was it??? Because of the overlap of each blade, this combination left me with a groove of some measurement less than 3/4. I added one of the 1/16th chippers and it made the dado just slightly too wide, but not by much. However, it wasn't perfect so leaves some questions. First, why did they say that particular combination would result in a 3/4 groove when it didn't. Second, how do you figure which shim to include to get the exact measurement? The piece I was using to put in the dado was exactly 3/4 as cut by my planer set not to cut below 3/4. Anyone with any ideas?

PS.. I'm using it on my BT3100 so that's why I thought I should use this forum.
    Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
    - Mark Twain
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Howard,

I have the Freud 6" set and the combinations they list are usually pretty accurate. The overlap shouldn't matter as they width listed is the plate not the teeth. Could the instructions have been for 3/4" plywood that everyone knows is no longer 3/4"? Or, is the depth gauge on your planer properly calibrated?

I think I stole this idea from a member here... But, every time I set up a dado, I run a 18" piece of 2x4 over the blade. Then I write the blade and shim combination next to the cut. When I need a dado, I try my dado board first. It is also easy to test fit the board that is to fit in the dado.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• PJC
      Established Member
      • Jul 2004
      • NJ, USA.
      • BT3100

Howard,

I have that same set. The first time I used it, I followed Tundraman's idea of "the perfect dado the 2nd time". Worked like a charm. I've been following it ever since.....

http://www.tundraman.com/archive/Jigs/Dados/Dados.cfm

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Howard
        I headed over to my local Rockler store this weekend and they had the last Avenger 6" dado set under the counter so I relieved them of it. I needed to do a series of 3/4" dados and I didn't want to fool with my router I had all set up for something else. The instructions said to use the outside, inside and 4 1/8th chippers to get the 3/4 I was looking for. Let's see... 4/8's plus 2/8ths equals 6/8ths - 3/4" - Yep! That was it! Or was it??? Because of the overlap of each blade, this combination left me with a groove of some measurement less than 3/4. I added one of the 1/16th chippers and it made the dado just slightly too wide, but not by much. However, it wasn't perfect so leaves some questions. First, why did they say that particular combination would result in a 3/4 groove when it didn't. Second, how do you figure which shim to include to get the exact measurement? The piece I was using to put in the dado was exactly 3/4 as cut by my planer set not to cut below 3/4. Anyone with any ideas?

PS.. I'm using it on my BT3100 so that's why I thought I should use this forum.
        The BT3100 is not to blame.
        Nor is the overlap of chippers.
        We'rve rehashed this many times before, this is hopefully the last time since Avenger is OOB (out of business).
        The Avengers apparently never stack up to the nominal sum of the chipper and end plate sizes. Some dados, notably the Freuds, all stack up exactly according to the nominal sizes as you expected.

So for the Avenger's you'll just have to live with it.
        Owners report satisfaction out of keeping a table with the chippers and shims required to get certain sizes. Not as convenient but workable. The overlap allows you to use some shims and still get a complete cut.

related posts

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=20798

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...t=avenger+dado
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-05-2006, 08:08 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Howard
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Plano, Tx.
          • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

sounds like I need to get my money back from Rockler on the avenger set and order the Freuds...
          Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
          - Mark Twain

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Howard
            sounds like I need to get my money back from Rockler on the avenger set and order the Freuds...
            just depends upon convenience vs. cost for you.
            Sounds like most are happy making the shim adjustments once they have a system, for the 30-50 bucks they saved.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mschrank
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2004
              • Hood River, OR, USA.
              • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              Sounds like most are happy making the shim adjustments once they have a system, for the 30-50 bucks they saved.
              Yep, that's me. I love convenience, but the price on the Avenger and the fact that it makes beautiful dados won over the inconvenience of figuring out the right combination. Tundra Mans method (mentioned and linked to above) works like a charm, and I now have a pretty complete chart for various widths.
              Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Brian G
                • Jun 2003
                • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                • G0899

Posted by Loring:

The Avengers apparently never stack up to the nominal sum of the chipper and end plate sizes. Some dados, notably the Freuds, all stack up exactly according to the nominal sizes as you expected.
                Hmmm. . . I have the SD206. Mine doesn't stack up exactly. For example, I know that if I use just the two blades, the "instructions" indicate that it will yield a 1/4" dado. However, I end up using 0.7 to 0.8 mm-worth of spacer to get an appropriate fit in measured (with calipers) 1/4" stock.

That means that just the two blades yields about a 7/32" wide dado.

I'm willing to double-check some various combinations, but it'll have to wait until I complete the finishing of my current project. . . I'm at a "no-dust-allowed" point. In a week or two, I can run some tests.
                Brian

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

Yeah, I love my set as well, great price, good cuts. I use a digital caliper to setup my widths, and I'm working on a chart for the forum.
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• DJB
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Concord, MA
                    • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Knuckles
                    Hmmm. . . I have the SD206. Mine doesn't stack up exactly. For example, I know that if I use just the two blades, the "instructions" indicate that it will yield a 1/4" dado. However, I end up using 0.7 to 0.8 mm-worth of spacer to get an appropriate fit in measured (with calipers) 1/4" stock.
                    On the back of the "label" on the SD206 dado set is a chart that lists blades, chippers, and shims required for various dado widths. Did you follow this chart?

Dave

Comment

• Brian G
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                      • G0899

Yep. That chart is what I meant by "instructions". That 0.8 mm worth of spacer that I have to add represents about 1/32".

Ultimately, it doesn't bother me because I rarely hit the exact dimension anyway. If I have to fiddle with the spacers. . . oh well.

Perhaps I just have a strange set.
                      Brian

Comment

• davidtu
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Seattle, WA
                        • BT3100

Is Rockler selling the Avenger Dado at a discount? Seems like the online price of $79 I'm seeing is quite high considering Avenger is GOOB and there is no warranty, etc.

What gives?
                        Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• DJB
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Concord, MA
                          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Knuckles
                          Yep. That chart is what I meant by "instructions". That 0.8 mm worth of spacer that I have to add represents about 1/32".

Ultimately, it doesn't bother me because I rarely hit the exact dimension anyway. If I have to fiddle with the spacers. . . oh well.

Perhaps I just have a strange set.
                          I'm home now and just checked the chart. You are right, it claims that you only need the left and right blades with no shims (and no chippers).

The thing I have never understood is the other widths that *do* require shims. My set came with multiple shims of some sizes, but the chart just has dots to indicate which shims to use, which doesn't tell me how many of each size to use. Any ideas?

Dave

Comment

• gjbivin
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2005
                            • Gilbert, AZ, USA.
                            • BT3100

Most (if not all) dado sets come with shims; they're used to "fine tune" the cut and are usually necessary if you want a perfect fit.

The best method I've found to set up the dado only takes two trys (with experience). First, select the chippers to make the set at or just below the desired width. Put in ALL of the shims, and make a test cut.

Remove the shims from the stack. Do a test fit in the dado you just cut. The slot will probably be too wide. If it's too narrow for the other piece to fit in, you need to add a chipper and try again. Stick shims in the gap until you find a combination that just fits. Set those shims aside, and (this is the tricky part) reassemble the dado stack with the UNUSED shims. This should result in the exact width of cut that you want.

When you add shims to the dado stack, distribute them fairly evenly between the chippers, so that you don't get a "gap-toothed" cut.
                            Gary J. Bivin
                            Gilbert, AZ

Comment

Working...