Attaching the hose of a shop vac to the DC port...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonathanb3478
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2006
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Ryobi BT3100

Attaching the hose of a shop vac to the DC port...

Admittedly, I own a BT3100, and a shop vac. Before anyone says "try it and see", let me just say that my "shop" is offsite. I own one, but it is not here, and I will not see it again 'till Sunday. That is when I make my trip out to my "shop" next, as I have not received the shipments with my sander, sand paper, router, first 7 router bits, respirator w/filters, goggles, and a bunch of other stuff. It is all supposed to be here via UPS and FedEx by Friday night. Once I have all that in hand, I will be heading back to the "shop" on my next available day (I work on Saturday).

I was just hoping that someone could let me know what to expect. I will be cutting up 3/4" MDF almost exclusively for some time to come. With a shop vac to help draw in the dust through the port on the back, how much will I end up with free in the air while working?

Thanks!
  • joestern5
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2005
    • Eustis, Florida, USA.
    • Ryobi Bt3000

Dust

In one word, lots. Your next purchase should be a Sharkguard to grab most of the dust coming off the top of the blade. Check Lee's site. Somewhere on the site are pictures of my setup with the Sharkguard. I cut a lot of exotic woods and the dust is very toxic. The Sharkguard helps a lot. Good Luck!

Joe Stern

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

MDF is bad stuff - it generates fine dust and lots of it and the dust has whatever chemicals they use to bind that dust together.

A shopvac will get quite a bit, but A shopvac only gets so much air compared to a DC which gets more.
      But even with a DC still, the fine dust gets into the air, a Air cleaner will work.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-16-2006, 10:44 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jAngiel
        • Oct 2003
        • Ryobi BT3100

The shop vac by itself will capture a lot of it. You will still see some from the top and from other tools. When I cut up a bunch (and I am planning on doing it again real soon) the shop vac was a huge help. I tried cutting some without it and will never do that again. What will help even more is getting some shop vac bags rated for drywall dust to use inside the shop vac, it will help your shop vac filter from getting super clogged and causing the vac to not suck to its fullest. I know it sounds technical, but if it was me (and it will be soon) I would go buy a three pack of bags to fit your shop vac.
        James

Comment

• surpluscircus

someone once said to use old panty hose over your filter bag. Never used one, might be worth a try if you have a supply of used hose.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
            Forum Newbie
            • May 2006
            • Sacramento, CA
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jAngiel
            What will help even more is getting some shop vac bags rated for drywall dust to use inside the shop vac, it will help your shop vac filter from getting super clogged and causing the vac to not suck to its fullest. I know it sounds technical, but if it was me (and it will be soon) I would go buy a three pack of bags to fit your shop vac.
            I bought a 3-pack of the filter bags when I bought the shop vac, as its primary role is DC

Great minds think a like!

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

I use bags in my Shop Vac and my Shop Vac into my BT3K and find it does an adequate job when cutting MDF. However, there is more dust than when cutting other sheet goods and I have to believe the Shark Guard (which I don't own) would do a much better job getting it.

Thanks,
              Phil

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

An air cleaner is also a good idea. You can make one out of an old furnace blower (typically available for little or no cost from a gas heater installer), plywood and some home heating filters. It will help capture what your dust collector doesn't.

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

The DC port works well but it definatley does NOT get all the dust. the finer the particulates the worse it will be from an airborne perspective. If you plan to do a lot of MDF you should consider some supplementary solutions.

Jon
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by surpluscircus
                    someone once said to use old panty hose over your filter bag. Never used one, might be worth a try if you have a supply of used hose.
                    I think that is to keep larger chips (like from planers and jointers)
                    from clogging the pleats.

Probably of limited use in handling the fine dust like you'll get from MDF.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mschrank
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Hood River, OR, USA.
                      • BT3000

You mention waiting for a router and bits...

If you are going to use these on MDF, this is where you're REALLY going to have dust problems. Do it outside if at all possible.

A couple of weeks ago I did a very small amount of routing (about 48 linear inches) on MDF while making a router table. I don't have a dust collection setup for handheld routing, so I just wore a good mask and went at it. Now, I think I'll be dealing with the fine dust EVERYWHERE in my garage shop for years to come.
                      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

Originally posted by mschrank
                        You mention waiting for a router and bits...

If you are going to use these on MDF, this is where you're REALLY going to have dust problems. Do it outside if at all possible.

A couple of weeks ago I did a very small amount of routing (about 48 linear inches) on MDF while making a router table. I don't have a dust collection setup for handheld routing, so I just wore a good mask and went at it. Now, I think I'll be dealing with the fine dust EVERYWHERE in my garage shop for years to come.
                        I use a downdraft on my router table, feeding into a Shop Vac (12 gallons, with bag), and route MDF from time to time. This combination works extremely well for MDF.

I've read that a dust collector won't handle the MDF very well (perhaps they can be improved w/ finer bags or something). I've read you either use a Shop Vac w/ a bag (drywall is preferred but I don't use those, and I've heard a HEPA filter helps but I don't use one), or you need a properly-designed cyclone.

Thanks,
                        Phil
                        Last edited by cgallery; 05-17-2006, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• ejs1097
                          Established Member
                          • Mar 2005
                          • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

It'll work alot better then nothing or the dust bag that somes with the BT3100. Go ahead and hook it up, I use my shop vac on tbe BT3100 quite a bit.

Originally posted by cgallery
                          I use a downdraft on my router table, feeding into a Shop Vac (12 gallons, with bag), and route MDF from time to time. This combination works extremely well for MDF.
                          Have any pictures of how you have this downdraft setup? I was considering modifing my table to accomodate downdraft when the bit is buried under the material and the fence port won't pick it up.
                          Eric
                          Be Kind Online

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                            Forum Newbie
                            • May 2006
                            • Sacramento, CA
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by mschrank

My workspace is a 12'X16' covered porch (outside). I am hoping the excessive heat here in the summer (we usually have 20-40 days of 100+ deg weather each summer) is balanced by the fact that the dust can flee to the neighbor's yard

Comment

• cgallery
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Milwaukee, WI
                              • BT3K

Eric,

My setup is the 2nd pic down in this thread:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=19250

The box is simply a four-sided miter, with a dado for the bottom. It is installed in the table like a drawer (I made some slides that are screwed to the bottom of the table). If you want a picture from underneath let me know and I'll get something for you.

By the way, all the dust on the back of the table saw is due to the sliding miter saw that was immediately to the right of the table saw. Man, did that thing spew sawdust. I was never able to tame the dust and did end up selling it.

Thanks!
                              Phil

Comment

Working...