• Show
Clear All
  • Rounder
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Sanford, FL, USA.
    • BT3100

A rail question - not sure if it has been discussed

I am planning on totally taking apart my current BT3100 and building solid base for it. My current system has two full sized rails joined together using a splice and pop rivets.

One set of rails is from a 3100 and the otehr is from a 3000. Can they be welded together to take any wiggle and/or slack out of them?
    George AKA Rounder

"Amarillo Slim, the greatist proposition gambler of all time held to his father's maxim; You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I've used these rods for other aluminum "brazing" and they work very well. I just use a standard propane torch. They are not cheap, but they are really handy to have. I've fixed a cracked tractor sprinkler sprinkler made from pot metal. I think this will affect the anodized surface a little around the heat, but it should work well if you can get them aligned.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Are you sure you want/need to do this? (Sorry, I'm admittedly not answering your question, but my intentions are good. Feel free to ignore....)

Since you'll need to support the extended rail somewhere else in addition to the support it gets from the saw body, I don't think you'll notice any wiggle with the usual rail connection hardware. I have extended rails that are supported by my mobile base; the rail connectors are the ones supplied with the extension kit. It's rock solid.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• draymond
        Handtools only
        • Mar 2003
        • Eau Claire,Wi

Wtk

I have not found a link to the WTK for the 3100 could you help me out. I looked in vain under the FAQ

don

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

FAQ finding

Originally posted by draymond
          I have not found a link to the WTK for the 3100 could you help me out. I looked in vain under the FAQ

don
          First of all did you find the right FAQ - the one for the saw itself (and not the forum software) is linked under the first post in the "Getting Started" forum.

Second, the search tool is a text finder like in a word processor, not a multi-word idea finder like google.

Just search for RAIL in the FAQ.

It will bring up all occurences and if the paragraph is not the right one, click on find next until you find the answer.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Popeye
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Woodbine, Ga
            • Grizzly 1023SL

Can't speak for the welding George, there should be a welding shop someplace in Sanford that can tell you the best way and give you a price.
            OTH, I've had mine done this way for close to three years and they don't wiggle at all. This is a modified "Kirby" method, Two pieces of 1/8"X1 1/2"X 6" angle aluminum that uses 4 sheet metal screws per rail. The ends are supported by anothe length of angle to connect both rails together and to the mobile base with T-nuts.

Here is a link to the rest of the pics. http://bt3gallery.fhauto.com/albums/...il_I.sized.jpg
            http://bt3gallery.fhauto.com/view_al...umName=album70
            Was wondering the othe day where you were. Hadn't seen you around in quite awhile. Hope the world is treating you well. Pat
            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

Working...