• Show
Clear All
  • Rolly
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Titusville, Florida, USA.
    • BT3100

Vermont American dado blades

I’m thinking of purchasing a dado blade set for my BT3100. I’ve seen a lot of positive comments here on Freud. Has anyone used the 6” dado from Vermont American? Lowe’s sells it for about $55 in my area. I’m just an occasional weekend hobby guy and wanted to get your thoughts on Vermont American vs. Freud for a BT3100. Thanks!
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

The avenger 6" version found on Amazon often for < $40 is highly regarded. IMHO most of the Vermont American stuff is junk.
    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Rolly
      I’m thinking of purchasing a dado blade set for my BT3100. I’ve seen a lot of positive comments here on Freud. Has anyone used the 6” dado from Vermont American? Lowe’s sells it for about $55 in my area. I’m just an occasional weekend hobby guy and wanted to get your thoughts on Vermont American vs. Freud for a BT3100. Thanks!
      Nyet!

Why do you think no one ever posts positive comments on VA stuff?
      its the bottom end of the woodworking tools range.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rg32
        Established Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Barre, Vermont, USA.

Being a native Vermonter it embarrassing.
        Vermont American used to be a very reliable and old company in Springfield (Machine Valley) known for its quality and workmanship which eventually shut its doors and then bought out by some big city company and moved.

I don't even believe the RPM rating is adequate either.
        Last edited by rg32; 03-19-2006, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

2 comments:
          The "big city company" that bought Vermont American I believe is called Bosch. VA as well as Skill are low end trade marks of Robert Bosch Inc.
          The dado you are describing I think is a steel dado. It has no carbide teeth. If that is correct - the correct price would be about $20. Go for Avenger instead.
          Alex V

Comment

• Jim Boyd
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
            • Delta Unisaw

For the price of shipping I'll let you have mine. On second thought this is a nice forum and we do not do things like the to fellow members I'll leave it hanging on the wall as a reminder to not buy Vermont American.
            Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• jziegler
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Salem, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

If you want cheap for a dado, I'll second the Avenger. I received mine nicely wrapped under the christmas tree, and it works very well. Cuts pretty cleanly, just be prepared to spend a few minutes setting up widths, you do need to play with shims a bit. All of which has been discussed here several times before, some great information and ideas on how to deal with it.

-Jim

Comment

• Rolly
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2006
                • Titusville, Florida, USA.
                • BT3100

Ok, I get the picture. Thanks for your inputs!

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I also went the cheap route a long time ago and learned to regret it. My steel Vermont American set is in a drawer someplace. It cut OK for a little while. It never cut as nice as my Freud. I also have a Harbor Freight set (better than the Vermont American but too big and not speed rated for the BT3100) and a wobble dado (nicely ground to make flat 3/4 dados but takes forever to set up correctly). I learn slowly sometimes.

Jim

Comment

• wreckwriter
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • South Florida
                    • BT3100-1

I bought a VA countersink last week, supposed to be for metal and wood but it would barely cut 1/4" aluminum, couldn't get the job done with it. I can't recommend their stuff.
                    http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

Working...