Finished my first woodworking project. And the girlfriend says…

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006

Finished my first woodworking project. And the girlfriend says…

So this weekend I finished my first project made with my new saw- a TV cart. This is the first time I’ve ever used a table saw. I hardly know a thing about woodworking. Basically, it was just for practice. To see if I could cut things and put them together straight. Before I move onto fancier woods and more ambitious projects. I restricted myself to only using scrap wood broken down from an old table I made years ago. I’m not sure I will keep this TV, so it’s all temporary. The only thing I actually bought new (other than the saw) was the wheels for the bottom. And it’s all screwed together, so I can take it apart later. Heck, I even reused some of the drywall screws. It came out OK. A little crooked, but it was getting better as I progressed. I learned a thing or two and the next project will definitely be better because I did this one. It’s not great, but it actually came out prettier than I expected. So I actually built something.

Brimming with a small amount of pride, I showed it to my girlfriendand asked her what she thinks. She has a quick look. And then says:

“The first thing I want to say is that I love you very, very much…”

Umm, she didn’t like it. But I’m still laughing.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Originally posted by JonW
    LOL!!

That's priceless. Well, you'll definitely get better. I like the approach, though. I'm still digging maple out of my bin that came from an old bookcase my father and I bought at auction 40 years ago.

Honestly, trying to make a straight carcass using screws is a challenge. Try a few dadoes and rabets next time and it should go a bit more smoothly.

JR
    JR

Comment

• Ken Weaver
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Clemson, SC, USA
      • Rigid TS3650

Take heart Jon - at least it sounds like she understood what you were about! That's exactly the way you go about it, start small, scew it up, find something bigger to screw up. That's the way its worked for me
      Ken Weaver
      Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• sacherjj
        Not Your Average Joe
        • Dec 2005
        • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
        • BT3100-1

And you don't have to use screws to screw it up. You can screw it up with Dados, Rabbets, Biscuits, Dowels. There are many ways to screw it up.
        Joe Sacher

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by JonW
          Brimming with a small amount of pride, I showed it to my girlfriendand asked her what she thinks. She has a quick look. And then says:

Uh, hmm, well, I can think of one other scenario which those exact same words would fit, so it COULD be a lot worse.

All the replies thus far are good but I especially like Ken's. Every new project is a learning exercise, and probably always will be. There's a saying that goes something like, "The difference between an amateur and a craftsman is the ability to hide one's mistakes." If that's true, I'm well on my way to becoming a master.
          Larry

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

You've got to love a woman who will tell you the truth before you're married.
            Chr's

Comment

• John Hunter
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
              • BT3000 & BT3100

What a great reply!
              John Hunter

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

Thank you for the laugh, I think we've all (or mostly anyway) been there. I've made my fair share of project of which I hold a great deal of pride. Projects that are both ugly, and not very well constructed, but have served the purpose of making me better at...well...building projects. That's just how it goes.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• Tequila
                  • Aug 2004
                  • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Everybody starts out crawling. Keep up the good spirits and you'll be running soon.
                  -Joe

Comment

• JonW
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2006

Thanks for the replies. It was just a funny story I thought you might appreciate.

I'm just starting with woodworking and we'll see where it goes. So far, I'm having fun. And making a few things that are needed around the house. Heck, in terms of fun and utility, I've almost already recovered the cost of my tools. I'll probably try to get fancy and artsy in the near future. Make some things that are pretty to look at. This has been a nice respite from work.

Originally posted by LarryG
                    Uh, hmm, well, I can think of one other scenario which those exact same words would fit, so it COULD be a lot worse.
                    Wow- I hadn’t even thought about that.

Originally posted by twistsol
                    You've got to love a woman who will tell you the truth before you're married.
                    Yup, I think she’s a keeper.

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Nothing wrong with being loved!
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Xamu
                        Established Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • Chicagoland, USA.

She's a good-un.
                        I know exactly where you're at. Which is why my sig says . . .
                        TTFN,
                        JP
                        Good woodworking comes from experience. Experience comes from bad woodworking.

Comment

• dxcoded
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Oct 2003
                          • nashville, TN, USA.
                          • ridgid ts3612

Good woodworking comes from experience. Experience comes from bad woodworking.

now that is some great advice.... love that sig xamu
                          eric may

Comment

Working...