• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • louis mason
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006

Dado arbor question on BT3100

hi

i'm trying to use my new Freud 6 in dado set for the first time. my question concerns mounting the dado blades. it almost seems like the current arbor is to short for the dado blades.

1) am i suppost to remove the spacers that were mounted on either side of the original blade? or do people put on a longer arbor?

thanks louis
  • beetee3
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • The Sunshine State

There are two spacers on the arbor in addition to the two washers. Remove the spacers but leave the washers.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

The first answer probably got you there but just-in-case, you remove one or both spacers depending on the width of your dado. If you are cutting only a 1/4 dado, remove the spacer that is about 1/4. If you afre cutting a 1/2 dado, remove only that spacer. If you are cutting a 3/4 dado, remove both. When removing spacers, you remove the inner blade washer, remove the spacer, then put the blade washer back. Your goal is to get the dado blades on the smooth part of the arbor, not the threads while still having threads enough for the nut to tighten. If you get part of the dado blade on the threads, it is not unsafe as far as I know but the diameter is slightly less so the dado will not be as flat.

Jim

Comment

• louis mason
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2006

valuable

hi

you guys have great info. what i don't know almost scares me. i didn't actually see the spacers themselves until just now. i must have been refering to the washers, which are big enough to look like spacers to me- but i think most is clear now.

keeping the blades on the smooth part of the arbor is key to understanding this assembly. the instructions that came with the Freud dado blades are sorely lacking!

i'll get back with another question as soon as it comes up.

cheers louis

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by louis mason
          hi

you guys have great info. what i don't know almost scares me. i didn't actually see the spacers themselves until just now. i must have been refering to the washers, which are big enough to look like spacers to me- but i think most is clear now.

keeping the blades on the smooth part of the arbor is key to understanding this assembly. the instructions that came with the Freud dado blades are sorely lacking!

i'll get back with another question as soon as it comes up.

cheers louis
          If you haven't already, you should read the FAQ (frequently asked questions). There's a permanent link in the first thread under "Getting Started" in this forum.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...