Tenon jigs, etc- no t slot right side of blade!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donbak
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2005
    • Coldwater, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000

Tenon jigs, etc- no t slot right side of blade!

It seems there are many jigs on the market that fit on the right side of the blade. Have any of you found a way to agg a t slot on the right side?
    Cheers
    Don
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Komatoast makes a kit.

http://getthenews.net/BT3000/RSMTMHK/bt3c.html

Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

My tenon jig is based upon Jim Frye's piece in the "Articles" section. with this jig and a micro-adjust on the rip fence, I have pretty good experience cutting tenons. It doesn't look anything like the miter guage jigs but it works quite well.

Jim

Comment

• BryanR

Just curious if anyone has used the kit by Komatoast. I saw it on eBay and was considering getting this for my BT3000 to use more standard items (like a tenoning jig). Or should I just stay with the SMT and make my own? I've seen Jim Frye's custom design but can't find the original Highland Hardware info he references.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Yes, I use that hardware pack from komatoast. Understand that it is just a hardware kit and instructions for mounting a stock Ryobi miter slot in reverse on the right side of your BT. You still have to provide your own slotted section, although I do think you can get that from komatoast also, IIRC, not to mention other eBay sources. The setup works fine, but can result in a spacing from slots on right side to slots on left that is an odd distance, so make sure any sleds or such that you buy have enough adjustability between runners to adapt to a non-standard slot spacing.

Comment

• DUD
            Royal Jester
            • Dec 2002
            • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I have Black Walnuts jig and it is a winner. It works off the fence and is extremely accurate and easy to use. Bill
            5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• steve-norrell
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • The Great Land - Alaska
              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by donbak
              It seems there are many jigs on the market that fit on the right side of the blade. Have any of you found a way to agg a t slot on the right side?

I have had komatoast's miter kit on both sides of the blade and have found the arrangement to be quite satisfactory. Basically, as mentioned in another post, the one on the right is installed as a mirror image of the one on the left.

The only problem (at least for me, and not a serious fault) with these slots that they are not "T-shaped" but just slots and the miter gauge tends to "fall out" when the body of the gauge extends beyond the front of the table. If this is not an issue for you, then komatoast's kits are well worth the money, IMO.

Because of that issue, I have built my own miter slots (with Incra Tracks) on the left and use one built into a router table on the right.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• gwyneth
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Bayfield Co., WI

Most of the tenoning-type jigs I've seen for saws in general are fence-based.

Some of these are just for tenons (usually a push-block type thing, with clamp) that you push along the fence.

Others start with a long box that rides on the fence. To this you can attach a tenon holder, tall sub-fence or other 'sub-jigs', as well as using the fence-rider as a push thing for small pieces.

Comment

• DaveStL
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • St Louis, MO, USA.
                  • Jet 10: Xacta RT

I installed the Komatoast brackets, and like them. One of the advantages is he includes directions (and hardware) to greatly improve the stock left-side mounting. On my BT3000, tightening the two-point mounting enough to keep it from moving side-to-side caused the MST to tilt because the plastic shims compressed more on the side by the bolts.

Comment

Working...