• Show
Clear All
  • GrumpyDad
    Established Member
    • Jul 2020
    • Midwest
    • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Woodsmith magazine

After having purchased these magazines for years I only kept a few that I thought I would want when the time came to start my woodshop. But in retrospect I wish I had kept many more. Thus I went looking for a few back issues. Since I had purchased most of these magazines newsstand or otherwise and I subscribe I found this to be a worthwhile and guilt free bargain. I now have a copy of the issues I purchased but did not save. AND I also have a digital copy of the ones I DID save so I can downsize my library even more.

I can take the scanning project off the list of someday/maybe for this publication. Not condoning piracy here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Woodsmith-Magazine-1979-2019-Complete-on-2-DVDs-Extras/333585490881?hash=item4dab3ea3c1:g:WIEAAOSww8td4-86

Harumpf!
    Grumpydad
    Last edited by GrumpyDad; 08-26-2020, 03:36 PM.
    Harumpf!
    GrumpyDad
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I have been thinking of getting a small 1T external drive to put some DVDs such as those onto it for quick access. Great price too.

When we went (moved) to Tokyo, Japan in '86, I had a subscription to Fine Woodworker and kept them. In 91, I moved to Osaka and kept my subscription up. Then around '97 or '98, I met a Japanese woodworker and we quickly became friends. One evening he came by our house and had a single copy of Fine Woodworker. He knew I was about to come back to the States for a month and he wanted me to find a few older copies of FW and bring back to him. HE could not speak English but I figured he could read it. Later he said "I don't read the articles, I just look at the pictures."

My wife and I were fluent in speaking, reading and writing Japanese, but his Japanese was difficult to understand. I mentioned to him that I could buy a DVD of FW for years of back issues. He said no. Then I realized he was just wanting as many back issue as he could get. I ran up stairs and into the attic and brought down 13 - 14 years of back issues of FW and gave them to him. He promptly took them home and came back with a large set (10) of fine Japanese chisels. I found sets like that is stores that had the equivalent of about $700 - $800 back then, much more now.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Better than cash!
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• nicer20
        Established Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Dublin, CA
        • BT3100

Originally posted by GrumpyDad
        After having purchased these magazines for years I only kept a few that I thought I would want when the time came to start my woodshop. But in retrospect I wish I had kept many more. Thus I went looking for a few back issues. Since I had purchased most of these magazines newsstand or otherwise and I subscribe I found this to be a worthwhile and guilt free bargain. I now have a copy of the issues I purchased but did not save. AND I also have a digital copy of the ones I DID save so I can downsize my library even more.

I can take the scanning project off the list of someday/maybe for this publication. Not condoning piracy here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Woodsmith-Magazine-1979-2019-Complete-on-2-DVDs-Extras/333585490881?hash=item4dab3ea3c1:g:WIEAAOSww8td4-86

Harumpf!
        Grumpydad
        Thanks for the great find. I ordered mine - let's see how it turns out. Anticipated to receive next week.

I will have to search for a DVD drive though (none of the new laptops have DVD drive anymore).

Comment

• GrumpyDad
          Established Member
          • Jul 2020
          • Midwest

Same situation - different publication...

https://archive.org/details/ShopNotesMag

More paper eliminated from my library!

Harumpf!
          Grumpydad
          Harumpf!
          GrumpyDad

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by nicer20

Thanks for the great find. I ordered mine - let's see how it turns out. Anticipated to receive next week.

I will have to search for a DVD drive though (none of the new laptops have DVD drive anymore).
            USB DVD/CD R/W drives go for about $15, USB powered. Amazon, eBay. etc. Very cheap!
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

I was just looking at an offer from Woodsmith for the complete collection on thumb drive for...$99. Just saved me a bunch of $$$$$...!!!!!!!
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by GrumpyDad
                Same situation - different publication...

https://archive.org/details/ShopNotesMag

More paper eliminated from my library!

Harumpf!
                Grumpydad
                Wow - this is pure gold! Very nicely numbered and organized!

Thanks!
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• mcrich
                  Handtools only
                  • Sep 2020

doesn't ship to Canada
                  I wonder why

Comment

• GrumpyDad
                    Established Member
                    • Jul 2020
                    • Midwest

Hit me up privately ... I will assist
                    Harumpf!
                    GrumpyDad

Comment