X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

RoboReel $99 at Lowes

I first saw the roboreel on of Marc's (the woodwhisperer) videos and thought I had to have one. Until I saw the $300 price tag. It's a basically a high end retractable extension cord. But it has alot of cool features like automatic rewind which automatically slows down during last few feet, automatic shut off if the cord is cut, thermostat for over heating, built in circuit breaker, and uses 12 gauge wire. Promo vid below.

http://facebook.com/RoboReel101 - The RoboReel Cord Reel makes workshops everywhere safer, more efficient and less cluttered. We've combined patented technol...

Anyways I found these at Lowes for $99. The retail price has gone down a bit since I first saw them. I think closer to $250 now. They make a portable and ceiling mounted version. They also make a air hose in both versions. I got a little carried away and got the portable and ceiling mounted electrical cord and the ceiling mounted air reel. These are close out prices so YMMV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	54A62AEF-B7CB-48E2-840B-4A72A6108A8A_zpsrva363yg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	800915

Name:	87F13AF7-1298-43CB-8BA4-FF293B3FF4AB_zpsy9q1gshk.jpg
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	800916

Name:	89B88855-35B8-4456-BB10-FEEA4C5F7E59_zpspymattzv.jpg
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	800917
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

This may have been a trial in your area - it appears the items were never even stocked in this area.

What is the item number for the electric reel?

Thanks.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Power ceiling 648042
      Power portable 648041
      Air ceiling 648040

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Looks cool! I bought a Flexilla air hose reel a while ago, and with that one the issue is that the hose does tend to bunch up on one side if the reel and then it will not retract all the way. Pretty annoying. Does this one reliably work as advertised? Does the rubber hose lay flat as promised? Would it do that also in the dead of a very cold winter?

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by gerti
          Does this one reliably work as advertised?
          Yes from the very small amount of time I've been using it. Which is one day And it was mostly just taking to different parts of the shop and letting it retract. With the ceiling mounts you still have to guide it somewhat because there is a good chance it will get snagged on a piece of equipment or cabinets if you pull it far enough. But the automatic stop feature is really helpful in those situations. The portable model will get used outside the shop in a more open environment so I don't see that being as big a problem. I will probably use that model on concrete areas and I already noticed the plug section getting all scratched up. Kind of wish they made a sacrificial piece that could be replaced. I'll probably just put electrical tape around the areas that will tend to drag.

Does the rubber hose lay flat as promised?
          Again, from the small amount of time I've used it, yes. The hose and electrical cord stayed flat.

Would it do that also in the dead of a very cold winter?
          No idea. I'm in Southern California. Our version of winter is anything below 60
          Last edited by jussi; 08-17-2015, 04:46 AM.

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Seems awfully overengineered. I don't see how you'd ever cut an extension cord in the shop unless you were really being careless... in decades of use the only time I've ever nicked one was with the electric hedge trimmer, and I now use a battery powered one lol.

As for the temperature sensor, circuit breaker, etc: don't overload your cords and you don't need that either. It's not that difficult... don't have multiple things running off the same cord at the same time. I often use a three-way splitter off of one 12g cord, but I'm only using one power tool at a time so that's completely safe.

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

It didn't happen in the shop but I accidentally cut an extension cord when using a circ saw outside and carelessly put the saw down too close to the cord. It didn't completely sever the cord cut did nick one of the wires.

The extension cords are def a luxury and are from a necessity. The automatic rewind is very cool and 100 times better than my old system, which never would fully retract. Plus it's 15 feet longer so I can reach the other side of my yard from the shop. And, so far at least, no binding.

The circuit breaker while not completely necessary is nice for me because I sometimes wheel out my portable dewalt planer to use outside when the boards are too long. The thicker gauge wire and circuit breaker will allow me to use both the planer and a shop vac.
              Last edited by jussi; 08-18-2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• rcplaneguy
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2012

They are $99 here at Lowes, too.

Bought the wall mount air hose, ceiling mount electric cord, and portable electric cord.

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Yeah just to clarify my earlier comment, I don't think it's a terrible deal at $99. I can't imagine paying $300 for this though.

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

Did the wall mount come with the roboreel or did you have to buy it separately? I only saw the ceiling and portable versions. I like the idea of storing the portable version on the wall.

Originally posted by rcplaneguy
                    They are $99 here at Lowes, too.

Bought the wall mount air hose, ceiling mount electric cord, and portable electric cord.

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...