X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Franklin Stud Finder - $30

Great deal if you have a Mernards local to you.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Thanks for the heads up. I've wanted one of these for a while and just pulled the trigger along with some casters for another project. If you don't live in the Menards' region of the country, they'll ship to your home as well.
    Chr's

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Dumb question, but how are these better than my 15-year-old Zircon that cost me like $15?

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

They had the same unit but in blue at Costco a while back. I bought one because it claimed to be able to sense deeper and I needed to go through some 3/4 inch siding. It was basically no better than my ZIrcon (see pic) in 'deepscan' mode so I took it back. I did like the always on feature and the way the studs lit up in the LEDs which is preferable to the standard "press the button" operation. If you dont already have one then these are a pretty good option but not able to go any deeper than a standard sensor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41rEs4NS0JL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	787253
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• Kristofor
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by tfischer
          Dumb question, but how are these better than my 15-year-old Zircon that cost me like $15?
          Multiple lights will illuminate concurrently indicating where the stud is without having to play the back and forth game or worrying about starting on/off a stud. This seems to be far easier for the wife to use when hanging pictures, but I wouldn't say it's wildly better/easier that my old (maybe $20 ) Zircon.

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

My problem with stud finders is that my walls are plaster and lathe, with 1/2" sheetrock over that. If I could find one that scans that deep I would buy it in a hurry. I have the Zircon, but I get false readings. I recently purchased a magnetic one from Amazon, that works better.
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by Kristofor
              Multiple lights will illuminate concurrently indicating where the stud is without having to play the back and forth game or worrying about starting on/off a stud. This seems to be far easier for the wife to use when hanging pictures, but I wouldn't say it's wildly better/easier that my old (maybe $20 ) Zircon.
              Ah, that's cool. Probably not worth it for me to re-buy a this point, but a nice option if you need one.

Comment

• TimTucker
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by billwmeyer
                My problem with stud finders is that my walls are plaster and lathe, with 1/2" sheetrock over that. If I could find one that scans that deep I would buy it in a hurry. I have the Zircon, but I get false readings. I recently purchased a magnetic one from Amazon, that works better.
                Tried this Franklin model from Amazon a while back to try using on stucco ceilings and promptly returned it due to poor performance with thicker walls.

Comment

• durango dude
                  • Mar 2011
                  • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                  • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Have one --- it won't light up when I hold it against my bicep - not sure that it works that well.

Comment

• Charlie R
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jun 2007

Ordered one. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

I've got a Franklin sensor that I bought from Costco, and an old Zircon that I've had for ~ 10 years. The Zircon has served me fairly well, but IMO the Franklin does a better job. I've been working on finishing my basement on/off for the past year, framing and hanging drywall. There were some areas around windows, etc. where stud spacing was non-standard, and I got in a hurry hanging the drywall and didn't think to mark the drywall before hanging with a few screws. I couldn't tell where the non-standard spaced studs were behind the drywall for the final screws. The Franklin sensor did a great job locating them.

I'm not sure, but I think that some of the "old style" sensors may use a magnetic sensor for finding the studs via the drywall screws (which doesn't work when you're hanging drywall.)
                      Bill

Comment

Working...