• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Hitachi 12" Miter Saw at Lowes $100 Off

Just saw a sales flyer from Lowes. It features a Hitachi 12" Miter Saw for $199 thru May 18. Regular Price $299.
    Here's a link:
    Last edited by phrog; 05-14-2015, 06:42 PM.
    Richard
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I have that saw. It's a good saw. I've had it 5 years or so. I had to put a new power switch in it. I bought it reconditioned.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have that saw and like it. The laser is a little off. Other than that it's been great.
      I tihkn I got mine at Lowes a couple of years ago for $211.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Neal
        Established Member
        • Apr 2012
        • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
        • Ryobi BT3000

Intriguing. Very intriguing.

My budget is a little "tight" for new tools this year as of right now. I'm also trying to decide if when I do upgrade my old craftsman 10" if I want to go with a slider like the Bosch Axial glide or just a plain old 12".

I'm not sure how often I would use the sliding abilities (though for the occasional 4x4 the 12" blade would be nice).

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

Crosscut capacity is about 8 inches. I also have a RAS on the same table and use the Hitachi when the cut is within it's capabilities, the RAS when I need the full 12 inch crosscut.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

i got it for the 4x4 cutting capability and for the 8" crosscut ability you can't get even 6" with a 10"er

The sliders turned me off for the extra depth they required.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by Neal
              Intriguing. Very intriguing.

My budget is a little "tight" for new tools this year as of right now. I'm also trying to decide if when I do upgrade my old craftsman 10" if I want to go with a slider like the Bosch Axial glide or just a plain old 12".

I'm not sure how often I would use the sliding abilities (though for the occasional 4x4 the 12" blade would be nice).
              The posted one isn't a slider, nor is it a dual compound saw (tilts one way).
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                The posted one isn't a slider, nor is it a dual compound saw (tilts one way).

Actually it is a dual bevel. It does tilt both ways. Note how the motor is folded back over the top instead of to the right, so that it can tilt right. A single bevel saw usually has the motor sticking out to the right. The fence on this one has a section that folds up out of the way to do the right tilt.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Interesting. In the years I been shopping, companies used to list them as dual compound verses compound for dual bevel.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• phrog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                    Interesting. In the years I been shopping, companies used to list them as dual compound verses compound for dual bevel.
                    I'm dense tonight. I'm a little confused about this. What is the difference?
                    Richard

Comment

• Stytooner
                      Roll Tide RIP Lee
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                      • BT3100

If it is a single bevel, you have to stand on your head to install crown molding. A dual bevel just makes life easier and helps eliminate some of the head scratching moments when doing compound miters. It bevels and miters in both directions.
                      Lee

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

Lee is correct. I have a 10 inch single bevel and the subject 12 inch dual bevel. I can do about anything on narrow trim with the 10 inch as I can with the 12 but some of the cuts are not nearly as simple. On the Hitachi dual bevel there is a pin you pull to tilt it to the left. There is a scale both ways. It also has a micro adjust knob. Used mine tonight, but not the bevel. I rarely bevel but I use it for trim to cut miters. The base I installed recently, for instance, was about 5 1/2 tall. Just a little too tall for this saw to cut standing up. So when you need to do an outside miter or a inside miter cut for coping, you lay the molding down and bevel it. If you had to use a single bevel, you'd end up putting the wrong edge against the fence or turning it over and cutting with the back up. Neither are great ideas. Nice to have a saw that will tilt either way.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by phrog
                          I'm dense tonight. I'm a little confused about this. What is the difference?
                          Compound would be a bevel combined with a miter cut in one action. Some saws would only allow a single side bevel along with a miter cut to one side or the other, hence "compound bevel"
                          Dual compound would be bevel to either side AND miter to either side simultaneously, hence Dual Compound.

The problem with the Hitachi is that it does not follow this "normal" wording. IT IS dual compound (dual miter + dual bevel). But you have to get into the specs to see it online. They are missing some sales, IMO from people who are looking online for a Dual Compound miter saw, since it is not listed that way.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hitachi C12FHD 12" Dual Compound miter saw.

I may have added to the confusion by calling it a dual Bevel saw.

the lowes ad is unspecific as to the name and the spec categories are a bit confusing with multiple lines referring to the bevel (compound - yes, bevel-yes, bevel right-48, bevel left-48, dual bevel-yes but they are all correct):
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	hitachi spec C12FDH.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	787220

The Hitachi web page does in fact call it a Dual Compound miter saw

Click image for larger version

Name:	C12FDH 2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	787221
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-18-2015, 11:21 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• phrog
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2005
                              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks to all for the clarification.
                              Richard

Comment

Working...