X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clock Maker
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2013

Ryobi Forstner 14 Piece Bit Set

Just picked one up at HD for $29.97, made in China but a great price I think.....
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I can't speak to the Ryobi bits - but I can tell you that in my experience - a discount Forstner bit set is not the best way to go.

The less expensive bits will burn and tear the wood, instead of cutting it. You can really tell the difference if you try cutting a piece of white pine. Good bits will cut the wood --- just like a good sharp hand plain cuts (thin, curly wood slivers). When you see the thin/curly slivers --- you've got a good tool.

I bought a PC set ---- and eventually replaced my most frequently used bits with Freud bits - and promised to myself that I'd skip the discount stuff from now on.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I didn't much care for the Porter Cable bits I had previously, however I really like the Grizzly and MLCS bits I now have. Have a few Freud bits as well...

Wasn't aware of Ryobi selling forstner bits. I have the Speed Load drill bits and they are dangerous sharp and dead on accurate if you chuck them directly, the quick change piece puts a bit of wobble into the whole thing...

If my prior experience with Ryobi bits holds true to the Forstners then you have a good bargain on some good bits... Hopefully these are a winner for you!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...