• Show
Clear All
  • themachine
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Cincinnati, OH
    • BT3100, General Intl. 220

Cordless Ryobi Drill and reciprocating or circular saw $74

Home Depot has the Ryobi 18V lithium ion drill and either cordless reciprocating saw or circular saw for $79 with free shipping or in store pick up. See http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-...=c298Z1z140i3#
    for an example. Add HDFIVE at checkout for another $5 off. These kits include a charger and two lithium ion batteries. Perhaps a better deal is Monday and Tuesday at Direct Tools Factory Outlet, where they have the Ridgid 18V Max lithium ion drill and impact driver kit for $99 (regularly $199). This is refurbished, but also includes charger and two batteries.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Don't foreget that the Rigid has the lifetime warranty, even on batteries. Not sure if that goes for the refurbished tools though.
    Capncarl

Comment

• newbie2wood
      Established Member
      • Apr 2004
      • NJ, USA.

Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement is only available for purchase at the Home Depot.

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

You have to watch out on that lifetime service thing. I was told by a factory repair center that my Belt sander was too far gone to be repaired and a replacement was NOT covered, so SOL. That was the third one of those I had worn out. I use two HF models now and they are going strong. I think Ridgid is SOL from me on future purchases with them.
        Lee

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
          You have to watch out on that lifetime service thing. I was told by a factory repair center that my Belt sander was too far gone to be repaired and a replacement was NOT covered, so SOL.
          Interesting comment. I went back and re-read the LSA, and it does not seem to specifically address replacement. However, it does say that they will repair tools - so even if it was "too far gone" it appears they are obligated to repair it. I suppose they could replace it at their option, but are not required to do so.

It sounds like that repair center rep was incorrect. I'm curious if you pursued this with Ridgid and their response if you did.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by woodturner
            Interesting comment. I went back and re-read the LSA, and it does not seem to specifically address replacement. However, it does say that they will repair tools - so even if it was "too far gone" it appears they are obligated to repair it. I suppose they could replace it at their option, but are not required to do so.

It sounds like that repair center rep was incorrect. I'm curious if you pursued this with Ridgid and their response if you did.
            What is Covered under Ridgids Full Lifetime Warranty
            "RIDGID tools are warranted to be free of material and workmanship defects." (That does not include normal wear and tear.)

How Long Coverage Lasts

"This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the RIDGID tool. Warranty coverage ends when the product becomes unusable for reasons other than defects in workmanship or material."

WHAT this means in simple words is that the warranty is ALWAYS against "defects in material and workmanship" for as long as the tool is operating. Once the machine wears out, the warranty against "defects" ceases. It does NOT mean that the tool itself is warrantied against wearing out in normal use.

I got into an argument of sorts on here some years ago over this, but it seemed to go to deaf ears or blind eyes.

This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the RIDGID tool. Warranty coverage ends when the product becomes unusable for reasons other than defects in workmanship or material.

More:
            What is Not Covered
            Failures due to misuse, abuse or normal wear and tear are not covered by this warranty. Ridge Tool shall not be responsible for any incidental or consequential damages.
            (Underline emphasis mine - HL)

The Ridgid Lifetime warranty is a ruse, written in such a way to make people "believe" that it covers the whole tool for as long as they own it regardless of the reason it quits. What complicates the warranty misconception is the use of the word "Full" in conjunction with "Lifetime Warranty". "Lifetime Warranty" and "Full Lifetime Warranty" are the same, but still, it only applies to workmanship and defects.

BUT . . . Home Depot's site says this about the LSA:

LSA covers worn parts: (Revising - HL)
            "WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT
            The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGIDŽ Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGIDŽBrand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGIDŽ Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the original owner. This Lifetime Service Agreement does not apply to other RIDGIDŽ Brand products."

Notice this:

Ridgid's web site says one thing; HD's site says something else. BUT the difference is in the "LSA" versus "Full Lifetime Warranty."
            Last edited by leehljp; 12-27-2013, 07:17 PM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by leehljp
              Ridgid's web site says one thing; HD's site says something else. BUT the difference is in the "LSA" versus "Full Lifetime Warranty."
              I was looking at the LSA agreement on the Ridgid site, which seems to be consistent with the HD version.
              This warranty information applies to RIDGID Brand Handheld Power Tools, select Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools purchased between Feb. 1 2004 – Present, from an authorized retailer.

I had not looked at the Ridgid "Full Lifetime Warranty", I'm not sure I even knew there was one. From the statement on the web page https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/full-lifetime-warranty it appears this warranty might apply to the hand tools such as plumbing tools. However, on the LSA page it says "The following applies to all RIDGID Brand Handheld Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools purchased between Feb. 1 2004 – Present, from an authorized retailer."

leehljp, I read into your post that both warranties applied to each tool. Not sure if that's what you meant, but I am reading the terms as being "either or" - either the LSA applies (to power tools) or the lifetime warranty applies (to hand tools).

So I conclude:
              1. Ridgid hand tools such as pipe wrenches are covered by the full lifetime warranty, which covers only defects, not wear and tear.
              2. Power tools bought since 2/1/2004 can be registered for the LSA which covers everything and does not have a wear-out limitation.

It could certainly be clarified, though, and I wonder if the service center simply misunderstood what was covered by which terms. If the belt sander had been purchased since 2/1/2004, though, it appears the LSA should have replaced it.
              Last edited by woodturner; 12-28-2013, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• duncsuss
                Established Member
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by woodturner
                If the belt sander had been purchased since 2/1/2004, though, it appears the LSA should have replaced it.
                Correct -- but only if the purchaser goes to the (IMO trivial) effort of registering the product for the LSA.

I forget which forum it was on, a couple of years back there was a long argument about whether it was worth buying Ridgid and going through the "hassle" of registering. I did it and have benefited.

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by duncsuss
                  Correct -- but only if the purchaser goes to the (IMO trivial) effort of registering the product for the LSA.
                  Yes, good point. I am aware of the registration requirement, but it's always good to remind everyone of that.

I agree with you, not much effort for a huge benefit. The lifetime replacement batteries alone makes it worthwhile, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...