• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdon
    Established Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
    • BT3100

I had a completely different experience with a display model Craftsman mini-lathe I bought "as is" about a year and a half ago, along with service contract. When I called service, I was told that service wouldn't cover any missing parts from a display/as-is, and either I or the store would have to order and pay for any missing parts.

After numerous calls to the store, they found it cheaper to exchange the display for one in a sealed box.

YMMV with Sears service, apparently.

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by jdon
      I had a completely different experience with a display model Craftsman mini-lathe I bought "as is" about a year and a half ago, along with service contract. When I called service, I was told that service wouldn't cover any missing parts from a display/as-is, and either I or the store would have to order and pay for any missing parts.
      I wonder if they have changed their policies? Good to be aware of the potential issue, though.

Did they at least offer you the 25% discount? The service contract I got says they will offer a 25% discount on parts not covered.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• jdon
        Established Member
        • Feb 2010
        • Snoqualmie, Wash.
        • BT3100

Did they at least offer you the 25% discount? The service contract I got says they will offer a 25% discount on parts not covered.
        That didn't come up in my case. I related to service what the store salesman told me- that missing parts would be fully covered by service contract; service guy denied that, and didn't offer any discount, IIRC. He told me I had to hash it out with the store.

Comment

• Wildwillis
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2013
          • Syracuse, NY
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by jdon
          That didn't come up in my case. I related to service what the store salesman told me- that missing parts would be fully covered by service contract; service guy denied that, and didn't offer any discount, IIRC. He told me I had to hash it out with the store.
          I believe that their policy is exactly that - missing parts aren't covered when you buy a floor model or a closeout item 'as-is.' In my case, the salesman told me as much so I asked why they sold me a service plan and what it actually covered if something was purchased 'as-is.'

I of course didn't really get an answer on that, but I suspected that since the people at the store hadn't bothered to document any details on the condition of my saw before I bought it, they probably hadn't done so with the service contract (if there's even a way to do so).

I was certainly misleading when I called the number on the service plan though and I may have gotten lucky. I avoided mentioning the words "as-is," "close-out," etc. I was afraid they wouldn't replace missing parts, so I just told them that my miter table was damaged. I should probably feel a little guilty about that, but since they'd had my saw in the warehouse as a return for almost 3 months and couldn't be bothered to inspect it or even tell me what parts were missing when I bought the saw, I got over it pretty quickly.

Comment

• jdon
            Established Member
            • Feb 2010
            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
            • BT3100

Thanks for the clarification, and I wouldn't feel too guilty, either, if I were you.

Comment

Working...