Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Dosperado
    Hey all, first post, great site!

1) The sliding miter table attachment knob and anything that was part of it. Essentially I have the sliding table assembly, and the aluminum push rail, but no way to mount the two together.

-Tom
    When you say "anything" that was a part of it, do you mean the plastic adjusting clamp also - that fits on the miter fence bar?

If you have that, you can get a bolt and knob at the big box stores as mentioned.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Ed62
      Welcome aboard, Tom. I'm pretty sure a toilet bolt and a threaded knob will work to attach the miter bar to the sliding table. You might have to file the head of the toilet bolt down a little. I'm pretty sure the toilet bolt will be 1/4 - 20, but you might want to verify that.

Ed
      Actually I believe the bolt that holds the miter black and fence is a 5/16" standard hex bolt. The head fits the bottom of the table and will not rotate. Special bolt or t-slot bolt not needed.
      Here's the SMT and fence in this picture.

You will need at the very least the more or less sole sourced parts
      2 miter fence which you say you have
      ,6 the fence holder
      ,5 the miter indicator,
      3 the pivot.

you also need 7,9,10 which are the 5/16" hex head boolt, 5/16" flat washer and a 5/16" thru-threaded knob which I believe you can get these three at any good hardware store.

Its possible to build #6 the fence holder. out of wood, I have seen it done by Rod Kirby. If you need to do this I can probably give the dimensions and details and probably some pics as I have Rod's original.

I have to say items 3 & 5 are just super useful plastic pieces I'd hate to be without, they hold the fence from rotating and make the miter scale indicate correctly.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-21-2013, 11:20 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• greenacres2
        • Dec 2011
        • La Porte, IN
        • Ryobi BT3000

In addition to the retail sites, there's a guy in Leo, IN that sells a lot of BT3x00 parts through an ebay store http://stores.ebay.com/JUST-RYOBI-PA...p2047675.l2563. He lists his phone number in his listings, it is worth calling him before loading your ebay cart, he usually has a non-ebay inventory at different pricing.

I have no financial interest, but I've bought several things from him over the last several years at fair prices and excellent service.

earl

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by tohellwithuga
          Might try to do a return/rebuy next time I'm in the area.
          I stopped by last night to do my return/rebuy on an air compressor, and the very helpful young lady who originally fixed the order (ordered online, they had no stock, they had to return it and resell to substitute another model) was very willing to do a return/rebuy and let me add items. As a bonus, it ended up giving me another $20 in points.

If I had dealt with the hardware manager, I think it would have been more difficult to get it done. Seems to be mostly about finding the person who is willing to help.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Actually I believe the bolt that holds the miter black and fence is a 5/16" standard hex bolt. The head fits the bottom of the table and will not rotate. Special bolt or t-slot bolt not needed.
            You are correct, Loring. Some years ago, the bolt for mine became missing. I happened to have a few toilet bolts on hand, but not a hex bolt. The toilet bolt has been on there ever since, with no significant issues. But a regular hex bolt would be the easiest and preferred choice. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Dosperado
              Handtools only
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by leehljp
              When you say "anything" that was a part of it, do you mean the plastic adjusting clamp also - that fits on the miter fence bar?

If you have that, you can get a bolt and knob at the big box stores as mentioned.
              I don't seem to have 3 5 6 7 9 or 10, you know, the "easily snagged off the display" bits...

I may take you up on the dimension for #6, I can come up with the rest, except 3 and 5... I don't suppose #6 can be had locally at sears? I know they have a parts center the next town over.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

not likely to find it (#6, miter block) at a local store.

I'll hunt up the Kirby original and measure it for you.

As for the miter indicator, it'll speed setting up the miter angle from the scale, but it also requires the pivot which sets the center of the arc for the scale.
                As for the miter pivot, this is almost a requirement to keep a second anchor point on the miter fence. otherwise the fence is only anchored in the center under the knob... that makes it hard to resist any rotational force and your miter fence will move. With the pivot, the miter scale will work correctly, too.

I'd say your best bet is to order the three parts from Sears link I gave you.
                If the miter block is expensive that's one piece you can make easily and I can give you the measurements.

When you see 3 & 5 you'll agree there's no easy way around them.

I just looked at the sears website. All the parts are $3.99 each (3,5,6) I just hit the checkout options and USPS shipping said free $0.00 to Texas. I'd say thats the way to go, you'd be all set.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-23-2013, 04:05 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

I just looked at the sears website. All the parts are $3.99 each (3,5,6) I just hit the checkout options and USPS shipping said free $0.00 to Texas.
                  I am missing several of the same parts, and noticed the whole miter fence assembly is available for $16.06, kit 35 in the drawing. I'm not getting the free shipping option on either that kit or the individual parts, thought, so it's another $10 or so for shipping and tax, $26.55 total for me.

Did you have to do anything special to get the free shipping option?
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by woodturner

Not certain if this will work or not, but here goes --
                    I was watching the news last week. They said if you are not offered free shipping wherever you shop, call them on the phone, and ask for free shipping. We just bought some wallpaper, and the local store wanted around $25.00 shipping. I went online to get the online number for ordering. I asked for free shipping, and there was no problem getting it. It's sure worth a try.

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by woodturner
                      I am missing several of the same parts, and noticed the whole miter fence assembly is available for $16.06, kit 35 in the drawing. I'm not getting the free shipping option on either that kit or the individual parts, thought, so it's another $10 or so for shipping and tax, $26.55 total for me.

That's definately a deal, If nothing else you can string the old and new fence pieces to make an extra long fence. Its also the same extrusion as the rip fence, you can make a stop or other jig with the ectra fence piece.

As for the shipping, I just entered my address and billing address, when i clicked on shipping options it said you'll get USPS shipping, and listed the price as free. Maybe because its small parts that fit is a small padded envelope that can be sent first class for under a buck, they already jacked up all the prices - note that no part in their catalog is less than $3.99 (used to be $2.16 last time I looked). So they are making plenty of money.

Another thing I recommend with Sears Parts: For the more expensive parts (e.g. more than $3.99), try all models of the saw, including Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, 315218290, 315228110 because I have found 2:1 different prices on what are the exact same interchangeable pieces for different models. Specifically belts and blade wrenches. BTW Tom, if you don't have the original blade wrenches which often get lost when a saw is sold, get one (the smaller) because it has the arbor lock to keep the arbor from turning when you want to change blades. Was as low as $5 and handy.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-23-2013, 12:07 PM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Dosperado
                        Handtools only
                        • Nov 2013

not likely to find it (#6, miter block) at a local store.

I'll hunt up the Kirby original and measure it for you.

As for the miter indicator, it'll speed setting up the miter angle from the scale, but it also requires the pivot which sets the center of the arc for the scale.
                        As for the miter pivot, this is almost a requirement to keep a second anchor point on the miter fence. otherwise the fence is only anchored in the center under the knob... that makes it hard to resist any rotational force and your miter fence will move. With the pivot, the miter scale will work correctly, too.

I'd say your best bet is to order the three parts from Sears link I gave you.
                        If the miter block is expensive that's one piece you can make easily and I can give you the measurements.

When you see 3 & 5 you'll agree there's no easy way around them.

I just looked at the sears website. All the parts are $3.99 each (3,5,6) I just hit the checkout options and USPS shipping said free $0.00 to Texas. I'd say thats the way to go, you'd be all set.
                        http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&prst=&shdMod=
                        Ok, I had to cough up $8.99 for shipping, and also needed an upper and lower slide, so that should fix me up well enough.
                        Thanks for the info, I actually watched the 4 very helpful, and very clear, BT3100 videos on youtube by Ryobi and realized quickly that without a functional sliding miter table setup I would be in trouble.

And I'm also really glad I did because of the NOW obvious point about using only the miter fence OR rip fence on the table at the same time.

It's been forever and a day since I've used a table saw so I'm being good and reading/watching everything I can find before diving in. I guess I have another week to kill now until I get it fixed up, so it's all good.

Thanks again,

Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think you made the right choice.

I posted an article on The shopmade Miter holder item 6 at the location below should you or anyone want to recreate it.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-23-2013, 06:24 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• tohellwithuga
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • GA

If I wanted to get a replacement miter gauge, what would my options be? Would I have to get the exact replacement, or are the miter slots a standard/generic size? I only have part #4 (the actual 'mitergauge' piece itself) - assuming this is the right one:

I could order (most of) the rest of the parts and assemble it, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Looks like the entire assembly is available for ~$50. Again, doesn't seem to be worth it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by tohellwithuga
                              If I wanted to get a replacement miter gauge, what would my options be? Would I have to get the exact replacement, or are the miter slots a standard/generic size? I only have part #4 (the actual 'mitergauge' piece itself) - assuming this is the right one:

I could order (most of) the rest of the parts and assemble it, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Looks like the entire assembly is available for ~$50. Again, doesn't seem to be worth it.
                              I assume this is the miter gauge for use with hte 21829 auxilary/Router table.

The miter gauge is only of use with the router and not the table saw part... because the miter slot in the auxiliary table cannot be reliably aligned with the blade.

That said, its only a problem if you plan to mount a router. Now, there are a large number of miter gauges made to a standard which is a 3/4" wide slot that is I think 3/8" deep. Most better table saw use this standard as well as your 12-14" and up bandsaws. There are also a great deal of smaller, stamped out miter assemblies made for smaller tools like benchtop table saws belt sanders, etc.that have thinner and narrower and shorter bars.

The dual slot miter accessory for the BT3x00 fits the standard miter gauges.
                              You can check if the ones on the the auxilary table are 3/4" wide by 3/8" deep, in which case you can use most standar miter gauges which seem to cost around $30 to $100+ depending upon features.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                                Veteran Member
                                • Nov 2007
                                • Buena Park, CA
                                • CM 21829

The miter gauge for the 21829 is standard and even works in my Delta bandsaw. If you mount a dual slot miter table or make your own from miter track (I used the INCRA track it will fit. You can likely but some miter bar and attach.
                                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...