• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

New BT3000?

I have a table-saw-less shop now (I think I had 4 BT's at one time or another).

Found this on CL and it's less than an hour drive:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/tls/3774586147.html

Mike
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Wlecome back MBG. Not sure if I read you are looking for a fifth saw or just alerting others to a saw for sale (maybe the latter considering this this is Bargain alerts)

of course you know that they were not $550 new since about 1995.
    $250 even if new unused and pristine shape but 10-20 years old is probably a bit high, considering no warranty and possible problems from just sitting. But if you like the BT3000 saw and he'll bargain a bit...

I assume you know about shims and BT3000s and what to do about them (dry lube - e.g. Johnsons paste wax- the sliding ways, 1st thing). A saw sitting for 10 years is likely going to have dried up lube in those areas and may drop the shims first time you operate the elevation. Possible dry rot of the belts.
    Those would be the main worries I'd have.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-30-2013, 07:39 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

It sounds like a negotiable price if you want a saw like that. Like it was suggested, it may be unused, but just sitting for a length of time being unused can have it's problems. Probably would have been better for the saw to be just turned on a couple of times a month if nothing else.

Comment

• MBG
        • Apr 2003
        • Chicago, Illinois.
        • Craftsman 21829

Just thought I'd post this since it is highly unusual to fine one of these new (if it really is). I bought a BT3000 when the just came out and paid over $500 for it. My last BT3100 was around $160 out the door at Home Depot when they were on clearance and they honored the HF 20% coupons. I replaced my Ryobi's when I found a Sears 22124 for just under 5 bills new several years back. Sold the Sears for a new Unisaw. I used the Uni about 4 years and made a full set of kitchen cabinets and realized I used my track saw system for 90+% of the cuts so sold my Uni almost two years ago. I later found I do like a TS for a few cuts so I bought a Bosch GTS1031 lug-able saw & sometimes wish I kept my last BT3100. So I have gone almost full circle.

Mike

Comment

Working...