• Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

1/4-Inch Hex Adapter Chuck

I just got an E-mail for this "special buy" from Lee-Valley and thought many of you might be interested.

Good price, but limited quantity on these: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,42334&p=69869

This was quite timely for me, as I just went through the task of hanging some shades in which I had to drill the mounting holes close to top inside of a window frame. My drills were too fat to fit and the only drill that I had that was small enough, had a hex chuck (Ryobi Tek4). The 100 year old oak was like a rock, and I snapped the only hex-drill bit (speed load) that I had.

None of my local stores sold (or even heard of) an adapter chuck. Now it looks like I'm going to have a couple.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

What's the advantage of having a chuck with a hex shaft mount?

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

There are a couple of advantages with these.

-For standard drill chucks, many of the chucks don't tighten down to a very small diameter. So if you have a small drill bit for fine work, you can't use it with your standard 18v drill.

-For those using an impact driver or 12v driver like the Bosch that only has a hex shaft, this will allow them to cheaply and quickly adapt to be able to use a standard non-hex shaft drill bit.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by cabinetman
        What's the advantage of having a chuck with a hex shaft mount?
        Quick swapping between a hex bit and drill bit would be one. I love my flip drill/driver combos, but the drill bit sizes are limited.

I picked up a hex bit adapter for my Yankee driver, one of those chucks would be nice for it too.
        Erik

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

Thanks ordered 1 of each,looks like they'll be handy to have around

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

i looked at it, but the shipping was $3 more than the product.
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Yeah, the "shipping" will certainly cause one to blink... but without a local source the total (for me, anyway) of $14.64 for both the large and small chucks still makes it a good buy.

Unless you can find a free shipping point, (and those usually require a minimum order of $50 or so), there are not usually any alternatives.

CWS

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by herb fellows
                i looked at it, but the shipping was $3 more than the product.
                Throw in a low angle jack, or a block plane with a new PM-V11 iron and shipping would just be a fraction of the total cost.
                Erik

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Guys,

This thread has been reported as having inappropriate posts. While I don't see anything in appropriate in any of the posts directly, some of the language can be construed to be aggressive, and potentially if taken to an extreme, seen as attacking another member. Let's please be mindful of our tone and word selection. Let's keep bt3central / sawdustzone a friendly place for folks to share ideas and experiences.

Thank you.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• big tim
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                    • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by dbhost
                    Guys,

This thread has been reported as having inappropriate posts. While I don't see anything in appropriate in any of the posts directly, some of the language can be construed to be aggressive, and potentially if taken to an extreme, seen as attacking another member. Let's please be mindful of our tone and word selection. Let's keep bt3central / sawdustzone a friendly place for folks to share ideas and experiences.

Thank you.
                    Wow. I have read this thread and then of course noted your post and then read it again very carefully, but I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would suggest that any of the posts in this thread is inappropriate. What am I missing.
                    Regards,

Tim
                    Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by dbhost
                      Guys,

Thank you.

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

The posts were removed. I've got a quote in mine above from Cabinetman, but the originating post and a couple other posts are gone. No big thing anyways, not even a burnt popcorn kernel worth.
                        Erik

Comment

• Black wallnut
                          cycling to health
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                          • BT3k 1999

As mentioned several posts were removed. One has since been restored. Bargain Alerts is for the posting of bargains. Off topic posts may be removed. This is not the forum for discussing the relative merits of the tools posted, we have Tool Talk for that.
                          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• big tim
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                            • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                            As mentioned several posts were removed. One has since been restored. Bargain Alerts is for the posting of bargains. Off topic posts may be removed. This is not the forum for discussing the relative merits of the tools posted, we have Tool Talk for that.
                            Thanks, Mark.
                            That explains why I couldn't find anything inappropriate!

Tim
                            Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

Working...