X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

For some of us older or handicapped folks

I saw this and just thought about passing it on,Granted some may not need now,but maybe in the future or you might have need for it in other areas as a handle to put on a cart or who knows,but anyways heres the link for some stainless steel handles for $14 not including shipping , http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-Pr...kuId=202619809 , I'm gonna install a few in our showers as we have none now and might have usage on occasions as I lose my balance when getting out of the shower ocassionally,Its a very good price btw.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I've installed a lot of those, and done renovations where they were present. When I was younger I never imagined my needing aids like that. I don't have them yet, but do use some existing towel bars for support. Other than just for balance, when a person has hand and finger problems, bars can be a false sense of security.

I can see them in my future, and thanks for posting. I may just pick up a few for when that day comes.

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

No problem Cabman,as you might imagine me having to exit a shower bearing all my 200 lbs on the bad ankle is painful as well as sometimes a very decisive and quick move on occasions, these will help now as well as in the foreseen future as its only for sure to worsen. But the idea of using them as a handle on a few rolling tables in a shops not a bad idea either or anywhere an extra handle might be warranted

Comment

• bigstick509
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Macomb, MI, USA.
        • BT3100

I installed one about a year ago. Very helpful for LOML and my mom before see passed.
        I payed about $35.00 for my 42 inch unit, so the item linked seems to be a great deal.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Mildoc
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2011
          • Copperas Cove TX
          • BT

Didn't trust myself for this installation, might not have been safe enough. I need full support since I have but one leg. Had a plumber install 2 - highly recommended for those with weakness or disability.
          We all have to go sometime, just not yet!

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by mildoc
            Didn't trust myself for this installation, might not have been safe enough. I need full support since I have but one leg. Had a plumber install 2 - highly recommended for those with weakness or disability.
            You did the right thing, if you had doubts.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Great price! The problem that I have encountered installing Handicap rails is that they seem to never line up with the existing wall stud placement. 16" stud centers just don't fit a 36" grab bar. I guess that they expect everyone to tear the wall out and add attachments.

capncarl

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by capncarl
                Great price! The problem that I have encountered installing Handicap rails is that they seem to never line up with the existing wall stud placement. 16" stud centers just don't fit a 36" grab bar. I guess that they expect everyone to tear the wall out and add attachments.

capncarl
                Depending if there is an angle to the installation, they may line up.

Comment

• bigstick509
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Macomb, MI, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl

capncarl
                  I've used expanding fastener mounts similar to these when grab bar location lands between studs. Check short video below product picture for installation clarification.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• tommyt654
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2008

Yeh,I agree but my wifes 5ft 1 and I'm 6 ft 1 so I have to angle it not only for her but myself as well to be able to use the studs to mount it too, also my bath/shower is a fiberglas prefab unit, much easier to install it in as opposed to a tile wall

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Conway, SC.
                      • BT3000

Thanks for the heads up. I remodel a lot of bathrooms, so I ordered 4. Quite a savings.

Thanks again,
                      Conwaygolfer

Comment

Working...