• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trungdok
    Established Member
    • Oct 2012
    • MA

Ryobi 20 pieces 1/4" router set - $24

This is on clearance at Home Depot B&M store. I used the inventory checker and saw 1 available at a nearby HD. I stopped by and there actually was 2 of them available so I snatched one. If you're in need of some router bits, or just want some spare ones, check out the local stores (use the inventory checker below to save some gas).

SKU: 791586

Inventory checker: http://checkinventory.home.comcast.net/~checkinventory/
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It's nice of you to give us a headsup on the price, but I'd be a little concerned with the quality, and would suggest going with 1/2" shank whenever possible. This is a case where I think it'd be better to invest another $18, and grab something like the 15 pc MLCS set. The original BT blade made by Freud is the only cutter with the Ryobi name that I've seen that was worth much.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• trungdok
      Established Member
      • Oct 2012
      • MA

I actually have the 1/2" shank 15 pc MLCS set. I actually was in need of a 1/4" dovetail bit for the dovetail jig I just got. So far the Ryobi dovetail bit is cutting quite nicely. It's comparable to the MLCS bits so far.

Comment

• RDavidP
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2011
        • Maryland

My router takes 1/4" shank bits, and I have this exact set. It has worked quite well on all of the projects in which I used 1/2" thick wood (poplar, oak, and pine). The straight cut bits cut dados and rabbets just fine in 3/4" wood. The round over bits and the 45 degree bit won't do well on 3/4" wood, but seems to do fine with woods that are slightly thinner.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by RDavidP
          My router takes 1/4" shank bits, and I have this exact set. It has worked quite well on all of the projects in which I used 1/2" thick wood (poplar, oak, and pine). The straight cut bits cut dados and rabbets just fine in 3/4" wood. The round over bits and the 45 degree bit won't do well on 3/4" wood, but seems to do fine with woods that are slightly thinner.
          probably need to take shallower, multiple passes on the thicker material! They have a larger cutting length in contact with the wood so taking smaller bites will give a better cut without chattering. It takes some practice but you just skim over, without the guide bearing or fence touching all the way on the early passes - don't worry, you can't cut too far and at this point it doesn't need to be a even cut. Just cut deep enough you get a nice razz sound as material is taken/shaved off. Subsequent passes will eventually allow the bearing or fence to touch and provide the straight, clean finish you want.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-06-2013, 01:14 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Texsun66
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2003
            • San Jose, CA.

I stopped by my HD in Santa Clara, CA to pick this up.
            Was promptly told this is an internet only deal and that they only carry the 15 piece set in store (for $59.99). I rechecked the link that was sent in the thread and it says internet only as well. So it looks like this must be a regional deal. ;-(

Interesting that the inventory checker showed two in stock.

I will keep an eye out if it decides to go on sale by me

thanks again for the tip,

Comment

• trungdok
              Established Member
              • Oct 2012
              • MA

Texsun66, it probably shows as Internet Only on the site because they are clearing it out. At my HD, the inventory checker shows 1 avail but there actually were 2 sitting on a shelf right near the other router bits. It wasn't obvious at first. Might worth it to look around the area a bit.

Comment

Working...