X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

H.U. for those online purchase's

This is the usual stuff that goes on in with biz nowadays, thought we should all see this unless your state has taken appropriate actions to prevent it,guess that old line the checks in the mail will be a more used line than before for many(mods this is not meant as a political, only to help us save a few more bucks) ,, http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clar...r-month/nT4Nh/
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by tommyt654
    This is the usual stuff that goes on in with biz nowadays, thought we should all see this unless your state has taken appropriate actions to prevent it
    Under the fair credit billing act, it was illegal to charge a surcharge for credit card use, but it was legal to offer a cash discount.

The 1/27 change makes it legal to charge a surcharge for credit card use. As a result, merchants will be able to charge a credit card surcharge instead of offering a cash discount, a subtle but signficant difference (at least in the merchant's opinion). This is federal law, so conflicting state laws would be subordinate.

For the consumer, it will likely make little real difference. Some gas stations have offered "cash discounts" for years - and those of us that use credit cards don't shop there. Merchants will quickly find that many or most consumers won't pay a credit card surcharge and will shop elsewhere. I suspect that this law will have very minimal impact on most consumers.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I would assume that you'd be notified of any such surcharge prior to purchase... I know if I see that, I would choose not to shop there. With check cards being so prevalent, I consider any card fees the seller assumes just part of the cost of doing business.

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by BigguyZ
        I would assume that you'd be notified of any such surcharge prior to purchase... I know if I see that, I would choose not to shop there. With check cards being so prevalent, I consider any card fees the seller assumes just part of the cost of doing business.
        A resounding +1. Any business that wants to charge me extra for using a credit card just doesn't deserve my business, period. After all, it was the business community who started the credit card bonanza in the first place. It was their answer to bounced checks as they were guaranteed payment when a credit card was used.

Comment

• annunaki
          • Jan 2008
          • White Springs, Florida
          • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Florida does not allow this charge

Another reason I'm glad I moved to Florida-Land of No State Income Tax
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• duncsuss
            Established Member
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by woodturner
            The 1/27 change makes it legal to charge a surcharge for credit card use. As a result, merchants will be able to charge a credit card surcharge instead of offering a cash discount, a subtle but signficant difference (at least in the merchant's opinion). This is federal law, so conflicting state laws would be subordinate.
            Strange, in the article tommyt linked to, it says:

Nor will every resident of every state face such a surcharge. California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas all expressly prohibit the surcharge.

Are you talking about 2 different things?

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by duncsuss
              Strange, in the article tommyt linked to, it says:

Nor will every resident of every state face such a surcharge. California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas all expressly prohibit the surcharge.

Are you talking about 2 different things?
              No, talking about the same thing. I read that in the article, but the law that we are discussing is federal law. My guess is that the author of the article assumed those state laws would continue to apply after the federal takes effect, but I suspect that is not accurate. However, I have not researched the issue and cannot say definitively at this point.

Comment

• duncsuss
                Established Member
                • Oct 2009

It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Comment

• sweensdv
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • WI
                  • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Retail better come to the realization very quickly that credit cards, although very convenient, are by no means a necessity! I don't need them and would be able to get by without them very easily. It still only takes a few seconds longer to pay by check and even less time to pay with cash.

Comment

• greenacres2
                    • Dec 2011
                    • La Porte, IN
                    • Ryobi BT3000

I'm not so sure about that Sween--i bought a hose clamp last night, came to $2.66. Handed the kid a $5 and a penny. He handed me back the penny, punched $5 into the register, which said the change due was $2.34. He got the two ones out easily enough, but probably spent 2 minutes fumbling with the coins. He ended up giving me 3 dimes and 4 pennies (instead of a quarter, nickel and 4 pennies).

I'm betting his armpits were wetter than on his first date--just had that look about it!!

earl

Comment

• sweensdv
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • WI
                      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

greenacres2, good point. I totally forgot the fact that in todays world basic math is a lost knowledge form. Remember when they would actually verbally count your change back as they handed it back, bills first followed by change? Now that I think about, maybe writing a check isn't a good idea either for some people. Most people under the age of 40 have no penmanship skills whatsoever.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

No cash discount, but adding a fee is just the opposite for those of us who use cash and have had to pay your fee's since the businesses, raise the price to cover them as part of their costs.
                        I do agree with checks having issues, as I deal with people (we don't take plastic), who forgot how to write a check, let alone don't remember blue or black ink (requirement, unless you spend $$$ for higher end digital check imagers). And people still walk by four signs that say checks or cash only and pull out plastic.
                        Plastic has dumbed down both the consumer, and the help at the registers IMHE.
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• woodturner
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                          And people still walk by four signs that say checks or cash only and pull out plastic.
                          In most areas, it's really rare for businesses not to take plastic - so rare that many consumes assumes every business takes plastic.

Sadly, given recent issues with fake cash, some businesses have stopped taking cash. Probably less of an issue for a store that sells mostly lower cost items, but the risk of taking cash is greater than the risk with plastic. Strange and unfortunate but true.

Comment

• tommyt654
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by annunaki
                            Another reason I'm glad I moved to Florida-Land of No State Income Tax
                            You might not pay State income tax but they get you with higher taxes on everything else to make up for it. I used to live in Tampa and know that fuel/property/and local taxes more than make up for the No State Income Tax that they brag about down in Fla.

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

I enjoy paying with cash and watching the cashier squirm, especially when I end up doing the math for them. Everyone should band together and have a cash only month. The retailers would a fit at the cash registers and may even have to make an effort to train their help to count.

I especially enjoy paying for my tab at restaurants with my credit card. For security reasons it does not leave my sight so my wife or myself march with the waitress to where ever they have the card reader hid. It is usually behind a wall in the kitchen. They always complain but when I tell them that this credit card does not leave my sight and they are welcome to move the card reader to where it can be seen, they quickly learn that I mean business. No one should trust a stranger with his credit card, much less allow it to be taken to another room.

capncarl

Comment

Working...