X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duncsuss
    Established Member
    • Oct 2009

Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries

Costco selling a 10-pack of AA Eneloops for $15.99. Includes 2 plastic boxes that hold 4 batteries each.

(Eneloops are the only rechargeable batteries I buy these days.)
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Where did you see this? I am curious as I have been wanting to try them out, but was interested in the higher mAh units.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• duncsuss
      Established Member
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by chopnhack
      Where did you see this? I am curious as I have been wanting to try them out, but was interested in the higher mAh units.
      On the shelf at Costco today.

These are rated for 1500 recharge cycles. The new higher mAh batteries are both more expensive and only rated to 500 recharge cycles.

For me, it's simple arithmetic -- I can buy twice as many 2000mAh batteries as 2500mAh batteries, and they last 3 times as many charge cycles ... it doesn't matter to me if I need to change them out after 2 hours instead of 2.5 hours.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Panasonic now owns controlling interest in Sanyo.

Here's a pages on Eneloop.
        http://www.eneloop.info/eneloop/whats-eneloop.html

Do you use normal NiMH chargers for your eneloops or the special Sanyo eneloop chargers?
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• duncsuss
          Established Member
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Do you use normal NiMH chargers for your eneloops or the special Sanyo eneloop chargers?
          Either works fine in my experience. The first time I bought Eneloops they were in a kit with batteries, C and D size "converters" (simply plastic cases with contacts) and a Sanyo charger -- so I tend to use that charger rather than one of the others I own.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Awesome! Thanks, the 2Ah AA is plenty of juice for me, I thought they wete the older ones that were 1500-1700 mAh.

Comment

• duncsuss
              Established Member
              • Oct 2009

Awesome! Thanks, the 2Ah AA is plenty of juice for me, I thought they wete the older ones that were 1500-1700 mAh.
              Full disclosure ... on the battery itself, it says "HR-3UTGA 1.2V Min.1,900mAh"

I don't remember where I read they are 2,000mAh but it seems Sanyo only claim 1,900mAh.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by duncsuss
                Full disclosure ... on the battery itself, it says "HR-3UTGA 1.2V Min.1,900mAh"

I don't remember where I read they are 2,000mAh but it seems Sanyo only claim 1,900mAh.
                Min 1.9Ah means that Sanyo certifies that this is the least amount a batch of batteries will provide. I did see some independent casual "studies" on amazon of about 2100mAh.

According to this link, the 3UTG part number references the older 1000 cycle batteries. Does your package show 1500 cycles?
                Last edited by chopnhack; 12-09-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• duncsuss
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2009

According to this link, the 3UTG part number references the older 1000 cycle batteries. Does your package show 1500 cycles?
                  Absolutely clear statement "Recharge 1500x" front and reat of packaging in big type.

Maybe the "A" in "3UTGA" makes the difference

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by duncsuss
                    Absolutely clear statement "Recharge 1500x" front and reat of packaging in big type.

Maybe the "A" in "3UTGA" makes the difference
                    In that case a solid buy! Will be sending the mrs. on a mission to hunt down the grey tops soon :-)

Thanks!

Comment

• Woodshark
                      Established Member
                      • May 2006
                      • Atlanta

I'm a pro photographer and I can't say enough nice things about the Eneloop batteries. I use them primarily for our flash units. There are two things that make them better than any other rechargeable I've tried before.
                      1. Once charged, they hold a charge for months.
                      2. They hold a lot of power. I was used to swapping out batteries at least once or twice a wedding. With the Eneloops I never do. They keep going and going and going.

If your going to use them a lot I recommend a smart charger. I like this one.
                      http://www.thomasdistributing.com/-M...ger_p_909.html
                      sigpic

Comment

• duncsuss
                        Established Member
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Woodshark
                        I'm a pro photographer and I can't say enough nice things about the Eneloop batteries. I use them primarily for our flash units. There are two things that make them better than any other rechargeable I've tried before.
                        2. They hold a lot of power. I was used to swapping out batteries at least once or twice a wedding. With the Eneloops I never do. They keep going and going and going.

I'm only an amateur photographer, but I started using Eneloops for the very same purpose.

A technical point -- truth is, there are other NiMH batteries with significantly higher capacity than Eneloops (many of them available from Thomas Distributing), but this is only of benefit if they are fully charged ... which they seldom are!

That would imply having all your batteries on charge until the very day of your shoot -- in my case the best I could manage was charging them the day before shooting.

Just a day or two after taking other NiMH batteries out of the charger, their actual charge level has dropped significantly and Eneloops look better and better as each day passes.

They are the only type of rechargeable I buy these days.

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

In that case a solid buy! Will be sending the mrs. on a mission to hunt down the grey tops soon :-)

Thanks!
                          Guess I'm going to have to try them..

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Woodshark

The mrs. scored a bunch today, should keep the tots toys running for awhile. I have purchased from thom. distr. in the past and had really like the then top of the line 1.5mAh rechargeable batteries that I purchased for my canon digital camera, a little over ten years ago. Those things lasted nearly forever!!

As for the recharger, she snagged the sanyo one for about $6, kinda hard to justify coughing over the coin for the nice La Crosse unit.

Comment

Working...