X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Great deal on a Ryobi Resaw Bandsaw

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/2818273652.html, If I had the money right now I would be all over this, Great 3 inch resaw bandsaw for the money, these things easily sell for $1500 used and while parts may be hard to find this one looks like its virtually unused or at the least very little, maybe someone here locally needs one. I just can't afford it right now as I'm getting another planer
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I never even knew Ryobi made saws like that. A quip in What's new in Tools from an old (nov. '84) popular science magazine said the BS-3600R cuts wood up to 12 3/4" thick and has a 12" throat, costs $1400.
    Erik

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

I'm sure this guys son has no clue as to what its used for and I wish I had the extra cash right now as later on when the shop gets finished this would be nice to have around for resawing larger pieces of timber and the like, someone will see it for what is is and snatch it up, sadly just not me. I'm in the process of selling 2 planers to buy 1 very nice used one from a guy thats getting out of woodworkin.
      Last edited by tommyt654; 02-04-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

Looks like someone here in Ga.is gonna snatch it up anyways, Good for NTR, pretty nice guy down in covington,At least I'll know where to go to get my resawing done,Hopefully he gets it before someone else, http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...=&fpart=1&vc=1

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Stout looking saw but only a 12" bandsaw (albeit with 12" resaw capcity) for $1400 in 1984?

And, "never been used", is that immaculate sawdust on the table???

Maybe CL Poster has no clue but surely a little sawdust is a clue that it has been used.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

Yup I saw that too Loring, but I also have had a lot of tools laying around my shop with little to no use that had sawdust on them, thats the nature of the beast in our hobby, As far as that price goes have you ever seen one of these types of resaws in action, you don't just plod along hoping to get a decent resaw cut the same thickness by slowly pushing your way thru the lumber, Ya kinda grip it n rip it. I have seen these types of resaws in use their kinda like a sawmill but shrunk way down and they'll cut an 1/8 thick piece of board with no sweat consistently time after time after time all day long without a whimper so yes the $1400 in 1984 was a no brainer for these back then.So $300 now is absolutely a deal in this day and age even tho bands might be very hard to get, and I would venture to say that even $900 would be a bargain price as you can't find these machines for sale very often, just my 2 cents

Comment

• All Thumbs
              Established Member
              • Oct 2009
              • Penn Hills, PA
              • BT3K/Saw-Stop

I think these had geared-down universal motors that scream. Some guys replace the motors with induction motors.

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

Don't know , owner says its a 3 h.p. single phase 220v, don't sound like a screamer to me

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Hey Tommy, I saw this immediately after you posted it and started to call the guy since Helen is about as close to me as to Atlanta. However, I thought, I would have to rent a truck to bring it back since I don't have a truck and I would have to hire a couple guys to load and unload it when I get home. I would have to use a stick of dynamite to make a place in my garage for it. And then I would have to hire an electrician to wire in a 220V outlet. I figured my final cost would be somewhere around $10,000. 00 Thought that maybe that wouldn't be a bargain for me after all even though it would be nice to have.

I didn't know they even made a 3" band except for industrial saws. That is awesome ! Bet the band would cost $300. It's a bargain for somebody.

PS Edit: Does anyone know what the lever on the back (above the motor) is for?
                  Last edited by phrog; 02-06-2012, 11:08 AM.
                  Richard

Comment

• tommyt654
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2008

Me thinks it has something to do w/blade tensioning, but thats just a guess

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by tommyt654
                      Me thinks it has something to do w/blade tensioning, but thats just a guess
                      That's what I would guess also but I've never seen one arranged in that position.
                      Richard

Comment

• SilentSam
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Oct 2010
                        • Richmond, VA, USA

$300 and I'll drive down from VA to get it. Might not use it right away either but I will one day.

SS

Comment

• All Thumbs
                          Established Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • Penn Hills, PA
                          • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by tommyt654
                          Don't know , owner says its a 3 h.p. single phase 220v, don't sound like a screamer to me
                          http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...7068-00001.png

As you can see if the diagram, the original motors were geared-down universal motors. Geared-down universal motors driving a 3" blade around 12-inch wheels is going to be loud.

Like I also said, some people swapped the universal motor for an induction unit. Don't know if that is the case here.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Ohhh, I totally missed the 3" wide band blade. on first reading. I now understand the really stout overarm required to support such a beast. No curve cutting with a 3" blade, surely a resaw specialty saw. Now I get why its $1400 new back in 1984.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-06-2012, 09:29 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tommyt654
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2008

Yup, won't be cutting these on that
                              Last edited by tommyt654; 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...