• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

HF 6" jointer being discontinued

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...ter-30289.html

In my store it was marked down to under $200. This is probably one of those things where they will be updating it slightly and it will be back under a new number, but this one is headed out of the catalog. Great reviews on this one, I was prepared to buy it today at list -20%. elated when I saw the price, crushed when they didn't have any more.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

They dropped the 8 incher a couple of years back... That's the one I wanted...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

Hf 6" jointer being discontinued

That is a good jointer for sure. Had mine for several years, no problems
      has always made good, clean cuts, could not ask for anything more!

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

I have a similar, older, version of that jointer. Some asian import from the late 70s or early 80s. Had to build my own chip chute and my motor is bigger.

The one thing I really don't like about it is the fence design. It's based on the older rockwell jointers. The fence attaches and moves at the end. Those types of fences can move on you. I tried some rabbets once, but the fence flexed a tiny bit and hosed the piece. Never tried it again. The plus about that fence design is that the depth of the tool is not as big as others with rear, center mounted fences. I've looked at upgrading mine a couple times, but most of the new machines would cause space issues in my tiny shop.
        Last edited by pelligrini; 09-17-2011, 11:56 AM.
        Erik

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I was at HF this AM and checked this out while I was there. The price on the display model was marked at $199 but I saw nothing to indicate that this jointer is being discontinued although I didn't ask anyone either. I agree about the fence design, it looks like it could possibly be a little difficult to keep it aligned and squared to the table but that's what you're gonna get with a jointer in that price range.

Comment

• jwd12
            Established Member
            • Jun 2005
            • Dyer, In..
            • BT3100

The HF store I visited had 5 (now 4) in stock @ $199). Looks like it may be the most challenging assembly yet. This one comes in a box (approximately12"x20"x48") I don't have a lot of room and everything needs to be small and movable, so we will see. Hope to duplicate the good experience here.
            I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by jwd12
              I don't have a lot of room and everything needs to be small and movable, so we will see.
              I had a Craftsman mobile base on mine for a while. I swapped it out for a piece of 3/4" plywood and 3" casters. The mobile base had problems with the threshold to my shop and my toes had problems with the base lifting levers. I've been thinking of building a better mobile base with drawers under the infeed and outfeed tables. There's a bunch of unused space in that area.
              Erik

Comment

• Brad Boyes
                Forum Newbie
                • May 2006

Originally posted by jwd12
                Looks like it may be the most challenging assembly yet.
                Yeah. Good luck with that.

It took me over 4 hours. One suggestion I have is don't tighten anything until you are sure you have all the pieces in place. I love mine. Now that it is together!

Comment

• jwd12
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2005
                  • Dyer, In..
                  • BT3100

I opened the box yesterday and it looks like assembly will be a full day's work (usually do things twice - first my way and then the correct way). Plan to do a loose assembly stopping just short of mounting the bed, then I will attach it to a Rigid mobile stand. Hopefully lifting the bed one time. The box had a GW 90 stencile. I have concluded that this was kg not lbs! Has anybody bought a second set of knives for this machine if so, where?
                  I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

I got mine from Infinity. Holbren could probably hook you up too.
                    Erik

Comment

• sweensdv
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • WI
                      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I buy the knives for my jointer from Holbren.

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

I am curious. Where do you see anything stating this is being discontinued?
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

From the 'clearance' tag on the machine, and a conversation with employees of two stores. None in the stores, none in the warehouse, not expecting any shipments or able to be ordered by them.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Gotcha. I sure hope they are planning on an upgraded / new machine to take its place. That is a well regarded jointer for not a ton of cash...

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

Yeah, I was going to pay full price (minus 20% of course) for it, and was denied. October/November is a smart time to put out new versions of things, we'll see if this comes back as a new number with what new features.

Comment

Working...