DeWalt D27905 10-Gallon Vacuum $199 from Tool King via NewEgg (2011 POST!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fgarvin
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2009

DeWalt D27905 10-Gallon Vacuum $199 from Tool King via NewEgg (2011 POST!)

Saw this on Slick Deals,

NewEgg is selling for Toolking the
    DeWalt D27905 10-Gallon Dust Extractor Vacuum

Price wise, it is about $60 lower than the lowest I've seen in past few months. About $100 less than street and about $300 less than HD. As it was pointed out in my last deal post, this is not a deal unless the item is good. I don't have experience with it and would love to know since at this price I'm very tempted.

I would love to know how it compares to a Festool or/and a Fein especially at this price.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-25-2012, 02:44 PM.
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

This is still a good value but this seems to be the non-HEPA model but I believe if you buy the $100 HEPA filter it becomes equivalent to the $500 HEPA model.

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

am i missing something here? $200 for a 10 gallon shop vac sounds like a lot. is this somethnig more than a yellow shop vac?
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• fgarvin
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2009

It does seem like a lot for a shop vac, but it is lower priced than a "dust extractors" in this class of machine is going for (Festools, Feins, the Porter Cable Drywall vac, which is this Dewalt unit). The difference is the static pressure. A typical Rigid Shop Vac is like ~50 in, while this particular unit is rated at 114 in.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

That looks like a Festool with a yellow paint job. I really like that tool activation feature but wonder what the max amp. draw would be. Didn't see it on amazon's info either... I wonder if that increase in static pressure would keep a cms from dusting up the shop?
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by chopnhack
            That looks like a Festool with a yellow paint job. I really like that tool activation feature but wonder what the max amp. draw would be. Didn't see it on amazon's info either... I wonder if that increase in static pressure would keep a cms from dusting up the shop?
            CMS is an awful tool where dust s concerned. Throws fine dust all over the place. The only way to get that is to use a lot fo CFMs and suck it into the chute before it spreads, that means the velocity of the air has got to be faster than the blade throwing dust outwards. Only DCs have the CFMs to even get a chance at getting the area and velocity needed. SHop vacs (static pressure nothwithstanding) don't have those amount of CFMs.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Loring, to be honest with you I never really got that concept. The suction is quite strong on a shop vac so why can it not clean the air of the dust being kicked off by a cms? I have used a shop vac just today while cutting marble with a cs and it did a great job of preventing the air from getting all cloudy. If you confined the cms to a hood, which I plan to do when I am more organized, a shop vac will not be able to create a strong enough draw to capture the dust?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

can't confuse suction (e.g. static pressure - PSI with end closed off) with airflow (CFMs)
                Like voltage and current. Related, but Different properties.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by chopnhack
                  ..... I really like that tool activation feature.....
                  i have one of these attached to a portable shopvac for auto activation:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G12

it pulls amps like crazy.
                  there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by fgarvin
                    A typical Rigid Shop Vac is like ~50 in, while this particular unit is rated at 114 in.
                    DeWalt's specs say 83" of "water lift" - not sure what they mean by that - and 129 CFM.
                    http://www.dewalt.com/tools/dust-man...rs-d27905.aspx

My Ridgid shop vac has 53" of static pressure at 203 CFM - so the DeWalt is essentially a light-duty shop vac.

As a point of reference, my dust collector achieves 1100 CFM at 11" of static pressure.

While vacuums typically have lower volume and higher pressure, 83" seems too high to be a real static pressure number.

For comparison, my dust collector will suck a chisel through the hose if I leave it a few inches from an outlet.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

I don't think the 83" is unrealistic. The Fein Turbo II with a 9 Gallon tank has 90" of lift and 116 CFM air flow. I believe those numbers for the Fein are with the standard 5 micron bag. It is noisier than the Fein; Fein=57.8dBA at 3.5 ft. Dewalt=72dBA I think most shop vacs are ~90dBA

This looks like a pretty decent deal.
                      Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks Loring, I think that clarifies it for me. Its a matter of pressure(or suction in this case) versus volume.

Comment

• wardprobst
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                          • Craftsman 22811

FWIW,

I have had the predecessor of this vac (made by ELU) for about 10 years and it's been a really good tool. Mine doesn't have the auto on so I can't comment on that but in every other way it's been outstanding. I do have the HEPA filter but I paid $299 for the thing way back then. Only caveat was the hose size was Euro and I had to get some adapters from Lee Valley to use US hoses and accessories.
                          Hope this helps,
                          DP
                          PS I also have a Fein Turbo, the small one, and it's not much quieter than the DeWalt, if any.
                          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

FWIW, when they say 83" of water lift... here's what it means (visually speaking):
                            Technically if they put a long tube vertically into say a swimming pool. Then they put the suction of the vac on the open end of the tube, then the suction would be enough to pull the water up into the tube 83 inches above the surface of the pool. The higher the suction number, the farther up the water will lift.
                            The equivalent PSI pressure rating to do that (83 inches of water lift) is 3 PSI - not a whole lot.

The shop vacs you quoted have 50-100 inches of water suction and 100-200 CFM. BTW, that does not mean they can do both at once. if you have the full suction that is usually with no air flow and if you have the full airflow quoted w\then you will have no suction capability.

A DC of the 2 to 2.5 HP range will have something like 6-12 inches of water suction (a lot less than a vac) and maybe 500-1500 CFM - again, you can't have both simultaneously, full CFMs are only achieved with zero suction pressure and full suction is at zero air flow (pipe is closed off). Real world numbers will be in-between, some suction to overcome pipe friction and less than perfect air flow numbers.

The impellors are designed differently to get the different performance. The DC uses large open impellors typically 10-14 inch in diameter and the shop vacs have small, more closed impellors maybe 3-4-5 inches in diameter. The large open impellors move more air volume but have more bypass leakage hence less pressure.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-29-2011, 12:24 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• djkert
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Dec 2006

Would this be better to hook up to a portable table saw or sander than my ridgid shop vac? I don't do enough woodworking to justify a dust collector (both cost and space), but I could probably justify upgrading to this if it's a worthwhile improvement.

Comment

Working...