• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fgarvin
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2009

Hitachi 23 NP35A Gauge Micro Pin Nailer - $77.34 FS @ Amazon

Hitachi 23 NP35A Gauge Micro Pin Nailer

I posted this over at SD too. I'll also ask the question here.

Any body have any opinions on this one?
    When the PIN-100 dropped to $69 at HD, some members at HD stated the 1" max length on the PIN-100 was too short. So I've been looking for a deal on a Grex, but they are still 2 to 2.5x this price.

Is 1-3/8" enough? Or do I really want to hold out for 2" Capacity of the Grex?

I'm see myself mostly just doing edge trimming or tacking to hold pieces which even at 1" should be enough. I'm a beginning woodworker, so I'm sure I might be missing some scenarios that I haven't experienced or thought of yet, so I'd like some feedback to future proof my purchase.

Thanks! Happy Holidays.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

pin nailers are used for small detailed projects where small pieces are tacked to other pieces and a lot of holding strength is not needed (often helped with glue to make a stronger joint). The benefit is in the headless nail making a nearly invisible hole making finishing easy while providing limited holding power (more for positioning while the glue is setting). so the pieces being nailed will be less than 1/2" thick usually.

I'm thinking these kind of nailers are for use in doll furniture, small boxes, small toys, decorations, etc.

So I think in general 1" nail length should be sufficient. certainly 1-3/8" capacity is not worth an extra 2x or more price for the little occasion to use it. Certainly a 23 ga pin of 1" or even 1-3/8" is probably not enough holding power to nail 3/4" material to anything else.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-26-2010, 05:08 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

They will go through 3/4" wood, so if you're trying to position wood of that size for gluing or whatever, the extra 3/16" helps a lot.
      Of course the value of it is up to you, based on your usage.
      I paid $100 for a 1 inch PC pin nailer. If I didn't already own that, I would definitely consider this at the price.
      Last edited by herb fellows; 11-26-2010, 03:32 PM.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

Working...