X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Jessum Mortise zip back up + others @ Woodcraft 50% off

http://www.woodcraft.com/Search/sear...3-243969d68ae5 , use code no 10118 for free ship on purchases over $25 till the 18th,Tommy
    Last edited by tommyt654; 10-12-2010, 07:50 PM.
  • Luckbox
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Holly Springs, NC

Does anyone have any experience with it. have looked at this but was thinking that a jig for the router would work better.
    I love lamp.

Comment

• DrChas
      Established Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Burlington, Vt, USA.

I was in the middle of making a mortising jig for my router, but got this anyway. If it works well its hard to go wrong for less than 60 bucks. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Comment

• dewi1219
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Birmingham, AL

I have a mortiser, but I ordered one of these anyway. The guides and stops on the Jessem just seem like they would make a much more repeatable mortise. Thanks Tommy.

Comment

• Cubsfan
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • CO.

Ok,I picked one up. I'd never heard of it before this post, but it looks pretty good.

Comment

• Uncle Hook
            Established Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

I picked up the larger 3/8" model and the smaller 1/4" pocket zip model too. The JessEm website sells loose tenons and 1/2' and 1/4' mortising kits for the larger model.

http://www.jessemdirect.com/category_s/5.htm

If you do an internet search you will see find some demonstration videos along with some favorable reviews.
            Last edited by Uncle Hook; 10-13-2010, 08:16 PM. Reason: fix typos

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I took a look at the ad for this. Its basically a jig to hold a drill with a special side-cutting "zip" bit (most drill bits are meant to go down, not sideways) and a parallel arm to move the drill sideways.
              A router with a bit designed for side cutting cuts at 25,000 RPM compared to the zip bit which on a drill maybe turns 1000, or 1800 RPM. I just don't think it will cut as fast or as clean as a router bit... Its a compromise.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                Established Member
                • Apr 2005
                • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                I just don't think it will cut as fast or as clean as a router bit... Its a compromise.
                My JessEm arrived tonite and I am very impressed with the overall quality. I haven't tried it yet, but the set up looks to be fast and easy. At $56.00 I think this is an excellent value. You may be right about the cutting not being as fast or clean as a router, but I am not sure that setting up a router for mortising would be much faster. Perhaps there are excellent mortise fixtures for the router but I am not aware of them to make a comparison.
                Last edited by Uncle Hook; 10-14-2010, 12:50 AM. Reason: fix grammer.

Comment

• dewi1219
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  I took a look at the ad for this. Its basically a jig to hold a drill with a special side-cutting "zip" bit (most drill bits are meant to go down, not sideways) and a parallel arm to move the drill sideways.
                  A router with a bit designed for side cutting cuts at 25,000 RPM compared to the zip bit which on a drill maybe turns 1000, or 1800 RPM. I just don't think it will cut as fast or as clean as a router bit... Its a compromise.
                  I watched a video demo of it online, and it definitely does not cut as fast as a router would but I think using a corded drill with more power / higher rpm than a cordless drill will help. However, I do think the built in scaled adjustments for stock thickness and stops would cut down a good bit on setup time.

Plus, I like that it can be used as a dowelling jig also - just move the slide to either stop and then drill and repeat. This could be done with a router jig also, but it looks to be a little simpler with the Jessem.

Comment

• tommyt654
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2008

Back to $112, Guess Woodcraft likes playin with folks head sometimes,Thats one reason why I rarely purchase from them. Too profit oriented for my taste,Not that its O.k. to be profit-oriented, but just too much for my liking sometimes,but when the deals do come they can be decent,Hope those that got in on this deal enjoy their new toy

Comment

• Cubsfan
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • CO.

Looks like everything is back up. I thought it was advertised as a temporary 50% off sale on that stuff. Fortunately I bought it Wednesday and it should be here tomorrow!

Comment

• dewi1219
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Birmingham, AL

Got mine today. I'm very impressed with the quality, as I expected to be with Jessem. I would never have paid MSRP for it (I'm cheap), but it was a steal at $56 shipped.

Comment

• profx
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Twin Cites, MN

Yeah, I grabbed one too. Very good quality. I'll try it out with the drill, but I think it would make a very good jig for the plunge router if the guide bearing was removed and an adapter template made.

Comment

• DrChas
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Burlington, Vt, USA.

I got mine and tried it out this weekend. I made a base for it so I could clamp it to my bench. After that, it took about 20 minutes to figure out how to use it and get it set up the first time. It really did a nice job of quickly making good clean mortises. I am pleased. I used a cordless drill, but I think I will be pulling out my corded drill in the future. It was pretty hard on the batteries.

Comment

Working...