X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • complete novice
    Handtools only
    • Aug 2010

Salvaged Antique Lumber if anyone is interested

A sawmill (Hill Country Works) is going out of business in Burnet, Texas. I am not associated with them but I purchased sets of used Forstner Bits and Router bits at a great price. All of the machinery is 3 phase so I guess only businesses would be interested. They specialize in salvaged antique lumber and have a tremendous amount of sawmill cut lumber that would probably be an interest to anyone with the ability to cut and plane the lumber and the person I talked to was very negotiable. Contact: Lee Westphal @ 512 756-6950. Their website is texaswoodwork.com and they describe their lumber there.
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

3 phase equipment can be used by an individual, just need a 220v circuit and get a variable frequency drive. I just restored a vintage 8" jointer w/3 phase motor. The VFD was about $150, lot cheaper than a new motor.

I may be going thru Burnet next week and if so, will stop and poke around.

Thanks for the info.
    Ken

Comment

• 10sCoachRick
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Austin, TX

Thanks for the heads up. The fellow who crafted our beautiful mesquite mantel might be interested. He's up Lometa way and BIL in Lampasas is a tree dude and might have some contacts. I'll pass the word.

Comment

• samuel
        Forum Newbie
        • May 2010

Ken, I am interested in the information about the 3 phase conversion. I also have a nice planer tha is 3 phase. Can you give more information of where can I get hold of the VFD?

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

Here's some info

Manufacturers:

American Rotary is the manufacturer and distributor of the largest selection of phase converters and transformers online! We are the only phase converter company to offer every type of phase converter - static, rotary and digital.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• lago
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Lago Vista, TX.

Go to www.factorymation.com and click on 'AC Drives' under products. HP of your motor will determine which model you need. Mine was 1 1/2HP and the FM50 that I got will handle up to 2HP.

If it's an old planer(not sure of their definition of 'old'), check www.owwm.org if you will be doing any restoration work.

Ken

Comment

• samuel
              Forum Newbie
              • May 2010

Thanks for the information, the motor is 3hp. I will check the resources you provided, thanks again.

Comment

Working...