X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Kreg K3 Master Set - $95 @ Lowe's - YMMV

Picked up a K4 set at Home Depot before I decided to check out the differences between the set. But I was hesitant to pay the $40 premium that the K3 commanded. But it was tempting.

On a whim, I checked the Lowe's website and it shows for $94.xx, and available for that price at my store. Yours may be the same.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

putting my zipcode into lowes.com, it shows the K4L for $95 and the K3MS for $145. List price at Kregs is $100 and 150 respectively.

the K3MS is nicer because it has the clamp lever located conveniently in the front, plus I think a face clamp included, for the extra 50 clams. A couple of other minor things maybe like a stop you could whip up in an instant.

P.S. I just looked on the Kreg website www.kregtools.com and the K4L includes a vac connection (my old K3 did not), I don't see a face clamp.

Overall, I'd say its hard to justify the extra fifty bucks.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

I agree. Which is why for $5 less, the K3MS was a no-brainer. I hope others can get one for that price.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        putting my zipcode into lowes.com, it shows the K4L for $95 and the K3MS for $145. List price at Kregs is $100 and 150 respectively.

the K3MS is nicer because it has the clamp lever located conveniently in the front, plus I think a face clamp included, for the extra 50 clams. A couple of other minor things maybe like a stop you could whip up in an instant.

P.S. I just looked on the Kreg website www.kregtools.com and the K4L includes a vac connection (my old K3 did not), I don't see a face clamp.

Overall, I'd say its hard to justify the extra fifty bucks.

That seems a little off, Loring. I have never seen a K3 that didn't have the dust collection. The K2000 didn't have it, and the K4 series seems to be a more inexpensive cross between the K2000 and the K3 series.

I do know after having it, my father made a dust chute for his K2000 and still bought the K3. (One to take to projects and one for the shop)
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          That seems a little off, Loring. I have never seen a K3 that didn't have the dust collection. The K2000 didn't have it, and the K4 series seems to be a more inexpensive cross between the K2000 and the K3 series.

I do know after having it, my father made a dust chute for his K2000 and still bought the K3. (One to take to projects and one for the shop)
          i have the K2000 not the K3 come to think of it. K2000 no longer in production once they came out with the K3MS.
          how did he make a dust chute for the K2000?
          the K4L is definately a cheaper alternative to the K3MS.
          K2000 sold for around $120 included the face clamp, and the separate jig (which is no longer needed because the guides remove from the main jig to be used for that), and had the rear-operated clamp and a few more plastic pieces (like the side stabilizers).

Kreg was always very tight about their distributors - would not allow them to put them on sale or any discounts. Like Rockler and Woodcraft would always specifically exclude Kreg in sales and coupons. Kreg would only allow tossing in extras like a pack of screws or an extra drill bit, as incentives to buy.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-17-2010, 08:56 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Did a little more looking and that's the only store in the area that has it for $94.52. I have no idea why it's that price at that store and $139 at others, but you may get lucky. I'll see if I can post a copy of my receipt later.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              i have the K2000 not the K3 come to think of it. K2000 no longer in production once they came out with the K3MS.
              how did he make a dust chute for the K2000?
              the K4L is definately a cheaper alternative to the K3MS.
              K2000 sold for around $120 included the face clamp, and the separate jig (which is no longer needed because the guides remove from the main jig to be used for that), and had the rear-operated clamp and a few more plastic pieces (like the side stabilizers).

Kreg was always very tight about their distributors - would not allow them to put them on sale or any discounts. Like Rockler and Woodcraft would always specifically exclude Kreg in sales and coupons. Kreg would only allow tossing in extras like a pack of screws or an extra drill bit, as incentives to buy.
              Loring, PM me with your email address. I am on a strange pc today (dogsitting) and not sure I can figure out how to shrink these pictures.

He used some Kreg screws, some scrap wood, and a vacuum nozzle, and it does really well.
              Attached Files
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...