X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bing!
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2010

Wilton Wood Vise....10 bucks at WC

I saw this while ordering my dust collection stuff which are also on sale.

I thought 10 bucks was a great deal for a wood vise. Got me one

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...er-s-Vise.aspx
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Thanks, Thats a good price. Anyone got a free shipping code?

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Wow, that is a huge price cut. What do they mean by light duty though? Do the jaws not support the same weight as other vises? I would sure love to grab a few for my forever in the making bench!
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

That appears to be the same Wilton vise I've seen at Lowe's and Home Depot.

If it is, I'd say ten bucks is about right. No way is it worth $35. It is very lightly built; and with some wood chops in place on the steel jaws, the 4-1/2" maximum throat opening will be down to about 3".
        Larry

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I just grabbed one today...they had a big stack of 'em.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• vaking
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by chopnhack
            Wow, that is a huge price cut. What do they mean by light duty though? Do the jaws not support the same weight as other vises? I would sure love to grab a few for my forever in the making bench!
            1. Larry hit the nail on the head. After you install wood on steel jaws you will be left with 3" opening - not much to be honest.

2. It does not have a front dog so you cannot clamp larger objects using dog holes in the workbench. You can put in thicker wooden front jaw and make your own front dog but then you will have almost no opening left at all.

3. Good vise has spring-loaded and tilted-forward front jaw. This way jaws come in contact on top first and when you apply pressure - front jaw straightens up. This way under pressure you have maximum holding power distributed on entire jaw surface. With light duty vise jaws will come into contact on entire surface at once and when you apply pressure jaws will likely go out of parallel and your grip will be diminished.

Overall - I believe this vise is good for some folding or portable workbench. I would not make it my primary vise. For a primary - I would look for something with at least 9" opening and heavier duty.
            Alex V

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Another solution that would be thinner than wood liners is leather.

At $10, it's not a bad buy, but it certainly is light duty.
              Erik

Comment

• Rance
                Forum Newbie
                • May 2009

Originally posted by vaking
                1. ...After you install wood on steel jaws...

2. It does not have a front dog...

3. Good vise has spring-loaded and tilted-forward front jaw...

Overall - ...I would not make it my primary vise. For a primary...
                I don't quite understand these kind of replies(in general). Not talking about you directly Vaking. ... Well, maybe I am, but not intended to be a jab at you.

Note: We're talking about a $10 vise here so why compare it to a $90-$175 vise?

1. Use 3/8" material for the face.
                2. It doesn't even have normal mounting to make it flush with the top of the bench so there's no comparison.
                3. Add 3/8" faces that are slightly beveled to accomodate.

99% of my clamping is with3/4" stock, so what's the extra 2 1/4" used for anyways? And no, I'm not gonna put a cheater bar on it and tighten it up like an elephant is sitting on my wood. Its a $10 vise, can we discuss it like a $10 vise?

If you only have $15 to spend, then go buy yourself this vise and a hamburger. I think it is a reasonable deal for what it is. And like Vaking stated, its not gonna be your primary vise. It won't do everything you want, but it could be a good start. I'm gonna get two.

Going back and reading again, I think Vaking was honestly trying to address the question of "light duty" and did a reasonable job. But it is definitely light duty. So how often does one take a sledge hammer to his wood? IMWTK.
                Last edited by Rance; 04-28-2010, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

That easy, Some folks here just like to piss on the parade here period, Since my wife has started reading the blogs here she just calls it ofs, OLD FART SYNDROM, something I hope to never suffer from

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'd agree that it's not in the same league as a vise costing 5-10x as much, and there's no extra features, but it should suffice to hold the other end of a long board so I can hit the edge with a hand plane.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

My intent was not to fan any flames or downplay bing!'s discovery. I am not familiar with vises first hand - my vises so far have been my hands, or two clamps - one on the piece and another to hold it down to a temporary table. I eventually would like to set up proper shop but funding has been limited and when you see other "heavier duty" vises being sold for 20x this price it makes you wonder, well, what makes this light duty and hence my question. No offense to any
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Thanks for the post. For $10.00 you can hardly go wrong. I also appreciate the comments that provide perspective on the limitations of the vice.

And this vice is a good value if you work with small parts.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...le-Vise-4.aspx
                        Last edited by Uncle Hook; 04-29-2010, 06:45 PM. Reason: Add info

Comment

• bing!
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Apr 2010

I received the clamp. Its actually more clamp than I thought I would get. There is almost nothing light duty about it. But then, I am a wooden lure maker and don't really clamp anything more than 2x3's.

/bing

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

its probably great for luremakers but as vises go, it's a light duty vise.

$ for pound its probably a better buy than this one

but then a so's a bicycle compared to a motocycle.

Not truly apples and oranges.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Rance
                              Forum Newbie
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by Rance
                              ...2. It doesn't even have normal mounting to make it flush with the top of the bench so there's no comparison...
                              I got my 2, and I stand(or sit) corrected. The mounting tabs on this are such that it CAN be mounted to a bench from underneath like a normal vise or from the top. That does NOT make it any more than what I claimed earlier, its STILL light duty yadda yadda yadda.

I mounted one to a board that I could clamp to a table(kitchen or folding) for portable use. This was my original intent before I even bought it. I also cut out a couple of 3/16 wood face inserts for protecting parts. I'll prob. just double sticky tape them in place. I'm happy with my 2.

Comment

Working...