• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by parnelli
    As a general rule with deals, you don't want to call the store. If the person who answers the phone didn't know about the deal and knows someone who want the item- they'll just tell you they don't have it.

Happens all the time
    +10. In fact, there was a guy on the local craigslist that was selling a bunch of "unused" tools. Spoke to him, he was the former tool dept. manager of a Lowes. When the good deals came along, he bought them himself, only to sell them later at a markup on Craigslist/eBay.

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

FWIW, I have heard that there bringing back the R4511, Here,s the reason why or so I was told, Home Depot has a contractual agreement with Ridgid and apparently was trying to get out of it and jumped the gun on their closeout,s. This could mean an end to all of those clearance prices in the tools mentioned in the above post. I have a contact at H.D and I am inquiring into the matter to see whats going on. If its true then I scored a major coup when I got all those tools,and H.D will hear from me as I,m a shareholder

Comment

• natausch
        Established Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Aurora, IL
        • BT3000 - 15A

For me it's the local Lowes that is grinding my gears. I've had good luck convincing managers at two of the HDs by me to accept out of state receipt scans, but it all depends on the time of the day, week and month that you walk in to negotiate.

The local Lowes continue to be stinkers on the Hitachi CF10 that has been sitting in their store with my name all over it for the better part of two years. As far as I can tell it is the last one in the region but they refuse to go below $499. Meanwhile the top continues to discolor due to neglect. I've even went so far as to move my "offer" down to $299 since the manager continues to be obstinante.

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by natausch
          For me it's the local Lowes that is grinding my gears. I've had good luck convincing managers at two of the HDs by me to accept out of state receipt scans, but it all depends on the time of the day, week and month that you walk in to negotiate.

The local Lowes continue to be stinkers on the Hitachi CF10 that has been sitting in their store with my name all over it for the better part of two years. As far as I can tell it is the last one in the region but they refuse to go below $499. Meanwhile the top continues to discolor due to neglect. I've even went so far as to move my "offer" down to $299 since the manager continues to be obstinante.
          Keep trying, Now that they have the new Porter Cable Tablesaw thy might be willing to deal soon.

Comment

• Ozzie
            Established Member
            • Mar 2005
            • Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.

Zappa,

That is correct. One day it was on the internet at the regular price. Next day, it was shown as not available.
            Ozzie

Comment

• BrazosJake
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Benbrook, TX.
              • Emerson-built Craftsman

Nuttin in Fort Worth. Guess I could try that hostile foreign country they call "Dallas". Nah, not worth it!

Comment

• frumper64
                Established Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Garland, Tx, USA.

Like Mr. Bass used to say - "Fort Worth is where the west begins and Dallas is where the east sort of peters out"
                Jim
                64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• Worley

I work at a Michigan Home Depot in both Lumber and Hardware. The clearance system is pretty much based store to store. It is based upon the last sale of an item and after "X" amount of time goes into the clearance loop which is a tiered market system. It does as low as a penny, but when something gets to a penny it is pulled from the shelf and depending on the item is either thrown away or returned to the vendor.

The case with the Rigid drill presses, band saws, and and marble top table saws is a little tricky. My store isn't the highest seller in the district, so after the holiday season (christmas sales) we ship them to the highest selling store in our district or region.

You may not be finding them now since I believe there was a recall on them (at least the table saw, could be others) due to a power issue. (If you own one check it out, might want to give Rigid a call.)

That mark down procedure only applies to items with YELLOW clearance tags. If an item has a GREEN clearance tag on it, the price is generally firm with what the tag says since it is a manually entered mark-down. If a manger approves a further mark-down the store takes the hit from the MSRP, not the tag price.

If you are looking to get a decent mark down get to the store on a early monday. Stores have a mark down limit daily and weekly. If you get there on the weekends you aren't going to get as much.

You can also ask a manager to check the computer for the lowest selling price of an item. You might get lucky on that.

Sales associates also have the authority to make $15 to $50 markdowns without manager approval. You might be able to get some money knocked off that way. It all goes back to the stores mark down limit.

I know this is the way things work at my store, your mileage may very. (based on management)

-Worely

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

The HD here is almost across the street from Lowes, and is the best thing that has happened to Lowes. They run a lot of business their way. The HD mgr. must be from the same miser school as some of the others talked about. He will not even come down on a busted can of miss-matched paint. So instead of fretting over snagging a Rigid tool I just watch for the Delta tools to be marked down at Lowes. The price is not always the best as some of the bargan alerts, but decent. In 2 yrs I have been able to pick up the Delta band saw, jointer, drill press, dust collector, 6 inch belt sander, 8 inch grinder and other tools at reduced prices. Keep watching the close outs and have your check book ready.
                    capncarl

Comment

• phi1l
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Madison, WI

I think we need to keep in mind that all these super deals are only driven by excess inventory and inventory reduction. We have just gone through a period of forced inventory reductions resulting from a lack of economic growth, and a need for cash by the retailers as sales have been lower.

The economy is starting to recover now & is starting at a level of reduced inventories. So with increase in sales & limited inventory, there is not the pressure on the retailers to offer the super deals any more. Going forward the big deals are going to be few, far between, probably very much localized. In fact, I would be analyzing very closely any super deals that a major retailer puts out now, there is probably either a discontinuation, or quality issue involved.
                      I would expect to start to see more deals on a place like Crag's List as people get rid of older equipment that is being upgraded. Higher end used TSs are an area I would expect to see bargains as commercial shops switch to SawSop units for insurance reasons.

Comment

• feq451
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Oct 2008

It has to do with franchise locations I think. the HD around the corner from me never has markdowns like those online but the one near my parents 10 miles away always does. Incidently the one around the corner is right opposite lowes. I found the TEK 4 stuff, the 4511, and almost everything else I wanted to buy at the markdown price near my parents.

You need to find a store that participated in these markdowns and then go to that store when you want a sale price

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

There's about 6 HD's within 10 miles from me. There's no harmony between them. Any specials I find there is on the spot, with markdown prices, not online or on the phone.

Comment

Working...