X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

just to expand a bit on lchien's last posting, the ivac switch can also be daisy chained, which would allow for multiple accesories to be activated by a primary tool with each appliance serviced by a different circuit. for example, a shaper on circuit A, a DC on circuit B and a power feeder on circuit C. this would be advantageous in shops such as mine where a 30A subpanel powers all tools and accessories.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Jcrawf
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      One claimed advantage of the automated switches is a delayed turn off (a few seconds) of the controlled switch, this allegedly allows the vac to clear the hose and work area completely before being shut down.

On your shared switch/duplex outlet it's also very hard on the switch which must switch two motor loads on simultaneously. The switch may not last real long but of course a cheap wall-box switches can be bought for around a dollar.

Having two switches for the tool is also a potential danger leading to confusion (happened to me) thinking both switches are off when one is on and the motor starts unexpectedly ... with the auto switch the tool switch is the only one controlling the tool and hence safer.

Another advantage and maybe the biggest of the discussed auto-switch (and not the Sears switch) is that the load is shared between two outlets which can be on completely separate breakers. Because your saw can draw 15A and vacs typcially draw 10 or more amps, putting them on one circuit risks tripping the breaker when the saw is heavily loaded.
      The way I use the setup, only the dedicated vac is turned on when the switch is flipped. The miter saw is also plugged into the outlet, but is started with its own switch, hence no simultaneous startup of two motors. Since the vac continues to run for the few seconds it takes to reach down and turn of the switch after completing the cut, the vac hose is cleared of sawdust (although I don't see that it matters that much), having the effect of the delay provided by the automated switch. I've never tripped my 20 amp breaker with this setup.
      Last edited by Jcrawf; 03-21-2010, 07:54 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

if it works fine for you then you don't need the autoswitch.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• skamath
          Established Member
          • Sep 2006
          • san diego, ca
          • BT3100, 22124

Originally posted by toolguy1000
          just to expand a bit on lchien's last posting, the ivac switch can also be daisy chained, which would allow for multiple accesories to be activated by a primary tool with each appliance serviced by a different circuit. for example, a shaper on circuit A, a DC on circuit B and a power feeder on circuit C. this would be advantageous in shops such as mine where a 30A subpanel powers all tools and accessories.
          your DC doesn't trip the ivac switch?

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

skamath.....in a word, no. but please see see post #7 above. i don't presently use teh ivac switch. i have been using a C-man autoswitch for about 3 years now. it is on a single 20A circuit and that circuit powers a primary tool(TS, RAS BS, router, etc), my ap400 DC and a C-man 20gal shop vac, all on one 20A circuit at the same time. the only time so far that the 20A breaker has tripped was when using the router under a significant load.

i have temporarily hooked up the ivac switch. a power strip was plugged into the vacuum receptacle with the shop vac and DC plugged into the power strip and the ivac vacuum plug plugged into a receptacle on a circuit different from the circuit powering the primary activating tool. all ran well with no apparent problems (i.e., primary tool on one circuit, DC and shop vac on a separate circuit, all through the ivac switch). i wil be making this kind of arangement permenant shortly as i just don't like the lights dimming slightly when the tools are activated. they may still dim, but at least the rare incidents which have tripped my current 20A set up should be avoidable.

FWIW, electrical components are rated to accomodate start up surges. just because an ivac says it has a 15A built in breaker usually means that it's sustained load is rated at tha level. otherwise, i wouldn't be able to run my powertools and dust collection aparatusses without tripping my current breaker set up or destroying the c-man auito switch. HTH.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...