• Show
Clear All
  • BrazosJake
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Benbrook, TX.
    • Emerson-built Craftsman

Looking for HF Drill Press deals

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a new DP this weekend and it's down to the Ryobi 12" or one of these two HF models:

Anyone know of a discount coupon for either of the HFs?

Thanks!
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

IF you have the room for it, the #43378 is a GREAT drill press even at full price. Look in Wood Magazine for the % off coupons. There was one recently for 20% off... I have been watching Harbor Freight sale flyers pretty closely for at least 3 years now, and have only seen that DP go on sale once, and it was only a $10.00 discount...

I have the Northern Industrial / Northern Tool version of that same drill press, only difference is the switch location, and paint colors. Oh yeah, and price. Northern Tool gets somewhere over $350.00 for this thing. I am very happy with it. Great, smooth operation, Easy adjustments....

You might want to pick up the #96395 drill press table if you aren't ready to build your own.

I was on my way to buy the Ryobi 12" when I came accross the deal on my Northern Industrial DP, a Craigslist deal for $75.00, I haven't seen any deals on drill presses that were even vaguely worth looking at in that price range since then. I would have been happy buying the Central Machinery one with the 20% off coupon...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BrazosJake
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Benbrook, TX.

Originally posted by dbhost
      IF you have the room for it, the #43378 is a GREAT drill press even at full price. ...
      Yeah, though the budget is small, I want a floor model. I see zero advantage to a BT other than some initial cost savings. The footprint would actually be bigger.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

The nice thing about a floor model, is the obvious advantage of the longer column. You could, if you wanted to, build a rolling cabinet, benchtop high, that would roll under the DP table to save floor space when you don't need to use the full height of the DP, but having it there is REALLY useful...

I wish I knew of deeper sales on the HF floor model you are looking at, but it is already so cheap, I doubt they will ever mark it down much further.

For the price though, it is an amazing piece of equipment...

I added the Rockler retractable magnetic chuck key holder, and the accessory tray. The chuck key holder is VERY useful. I cannot say as much about the tray...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BrazosJake
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Benbrook, TX.

Apparently as I was writing this post, LOML was picking up a Ryobi recon from Direct Tools.

Was leaning towards the HF, but I'm not about to tell her I don't want it, especially for $99!! Guess I'll keep her!

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Nice deal! Was gonna tell you that I've been happy with the 38142, but it was $144 on sale with coupons, etc. $99 is a great price on the Ryobi. Enjoy!
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Rich P
              Established Member
              • Apr 2003
              • Foresthill, CA, USA.
              • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

Only problem with the HF units is stroke length...you can't get through a 4x in a single operation. I have the 43378 and have no other complaints. Hope your Ryobi works out.
              Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• Salty
                • Feb 2006
                • Akron, Ohio

Originally posted by BrazosJake
                I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a new DP this weekend and it's down to the Ryobi 12" or one of these two HF models:

Anyone know of a discount coupon for either of the HFs?

Thanks!

Why not just go pay the full price?
                Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Glad to hear about the score on the Ryobi. That 12" is a nice bench top drill press. Sounds like you also scored a great wife too!

Comment

• Hoover
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • USA.

I have been seeing Harbor Freight ads in some woodworking mags, and also in some muscle car mags with the 20% off coupons. I have the 10" Ryobi dp, does a good job, do wish the stroke was longer. I believe HF has a 13" dp that has about a 3" depth.
                    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Ozzie
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.

HF has a coupon in Readers' Digest Magazine also.
                      Ozzie

Comment

Working...