• Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Harbor Freight Coupons to end?

Talking with the checkout girl at HF on Saturday and she said that the percent off coupons were being phased out. That they would only be available to those who paid to get the discounts and have to show the card each time.

She said that they were starting with not honoring the NOT ORIGINAL coupons. Only those clipped from their fliers or magazines.

It seems that hard times are coming to HF as well. Hope it's not true but I think we all saw it coming.

Bill
    have coupon, may have to go use it, ah what to buy that I don't really need..
  • Photojosh
    Established Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Washington (the state)

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
    Talking with the checkout girl at HF on Saturday and she said that the percent off coupons were being phased out. That they would only be available to those who paid to get the discounts and have to show the card each time.

She said that they were starting with not honoring the NOT ORIGINAL coupons. Only those clipped from their fliers or magazines.

It seems that hard times are coming to HF as well. Hope it's not true but I think we all saw it coming.

Bill
    Well they are at least going to be available until 3/17/10, as the 20% off from Wood magazine this month says that it is valid through that date. Though I suppose there is the possibility that they could tighten up the rules and actually make you clip the coupon each time.

As for the "copies" thing, for as long as I can remember, the coupons have said "no copies" on them. But as we all know, HF is pretty mellow about accepting copies. I could easily see them tightening up that rule. But unless they are going to stop emailing them out (which they might) there are always going to be some percentage of computer printed coupons floating around. Would I be surprised? No, everybody is tightening their belts these days and HF knows that even their non-coupon prices still beat the BORG's for a lot of stuff. So it might make economic sense for them to start phasing out the "coupons all the time" type thing. But I also remember HF coupons going through other phases of availability or unavailability. So who knows.

Paying for a HF "discount club"? I might consider it. I guess it depends on what you get and what it costs.

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

Maybe they'll change their tune once they see their daily z's (total's from their registers) drop.

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Hmmm, I don't know how the coupons I get in an email could be thought to be "not copied". I mean there not professionally printed or anything.

JR
        JR

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

HF has gone more and more of late with the individual item coupons, and less and less with the "percent off" variety, including dropping the percentage from 30 to 25 to 20 and now 15 percent off.

I think their ultimate goal is to find out how far their customer base will allow itself to be pushed, thinking that is the way to maximize their bottom line. I think the customers they'll lose during that process will be difficult for them to get back. Let's face it; there's only one reason anybody shops at HF... cheap prices. There is no other reason to do so. When the deals aren't so great, folks will stop going there, and maybe the mucky-mucks at HF need to be reminded of this...

Comment

• sscherin
            • Dec 2003
            • Kennewick, WA, USA.

I have to wonder if this is just one Manager choosing how to run his store..

If they don't want me to print my own coupons they better stop sending me 2 or 3 emails a week with a dozen click to print coupons inside.

What's next? Will they stop honoring HF internet prices in store?

As for %% off coupons.. In the last 3-4 years I was lucky to get 1 or 2 20% coupons a year.. I saved and spent the em wisely on big ticket items..

This year I've been bombarded with them.. a new 15-20% coupon almost every week.. I blow em on $10 and $20 items.. I think I've spent more at HF this year than the last 3 combined.
            William's Law--
            There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
            cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• Photojosh
              Established Member
              • Aug 2009
              • Washington (the state)

Originally posted by sscherin
              As for %% off coupons.. In the last 3-4 years I was lucky to get 1 or 2 20% coupons a year.. I saved and spent the em wisely on big ticket items..

This year I've been bombarded with them.. a new 15-20% coupon almost every week.. I blow em on $10 and $20 items.. I think I've spent more at HF this year than the last 3 combined.
              Yeah, that's what I was referring to in my post. In the past there have been months go by when I didn't see a % off coupon. But for the past 6 months, it seems like I have gotten one in the email 2-4 times a month. Plus, there are the coupons they have run in Wood and the other magazines.

Who knows though.

Comment

• Santa Clarita Len
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Santa Clarita Calif.
                • Bt3000 and Dewalt radial arm saw

Originally posted by Photojosh
                Well they are at least going to be available until 3/17/10, as the 20% off from Wood magazine this month says that it is valid through that date. Though I suppose there is the possibility that they could tighten up the rules and actually make you clip the coupon each time.

As for the "copies" thing, for as long as I can remember, the coupons have said "no copies" on them. But as we all know, HF is pretty mellow about accepting copies. I could easily see them tightening up that rule. But unless they are going to stop emailing them out (which they might) there are always going to be some percentage of computer printed coupons floating around. Would I be surprised? No, everybody is tightening their belts these days and HF knows that even their non-coupon prices still beat the BORG's for a lot of stuff. So it might make economic sense for them to start phasing out the "coupons all the time" type thing. But I also remember HF coupons going through other phases of availability or unavailability. So who knows.

Paying for a HF "discount club"? I might consider it. I guess it depends on what you get and what it costs.

Went to HF yesterday and was told that the membership fee would $29 per year, count me out!

Comment

• Photojosh
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • Washington (the state)

Originally posted by Santa Clarita Len
                  Went to HF yesterday and was told that the membership fee would $29 per year, count me out!
                  All depends on what you get for that $30. I have surely saved more than that with HF coupons most years.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i used to wonder why, when their prices were 1/3 to 1/2 lower than anyone else why they needed 20 or 30% off an item coupons. But after a few trips there, I found you can't buy just one thing. its hard to resist the other stuff. They just want to get you in the door.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

What?? No more coupons? What the heck will I do when my flier comes in with the "specials". Then I go buy what I don't really need because it's too cheap to pass up. Then the next flier has the same item for less.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

I intend to write them a letter and tell them what they can do with their membership fee and with my business. Maybe if enough folks follow suit, their attitude will return to normal...

Comment

• Photojosh
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • Washington (the state)

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                          I intend to write them a letter and tell them what they can do with their membership fee and with my business. Maybe if enough folks follow suit, their attitude will return to normal...
                          I intend to take a 'wait and see' attitude. One rumor heard from a cashier and reported on the internet doesn't prove anything to me. Especially when I'm still getting coupons every week in my email.

Besides, even if it's all true, it really depends on what I get for my $30 membership. I happily pay for my costco membership every year.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2007
                            • Sunshine State
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by Photojosh
                            I intend to take a 'wait and see' attitude.
                            So would I. The letter will come the first time they ask for or offer the membership...

Comment

• Al R.
                              Established Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • Florida.
                              • Delta 36-600

Originally posted by Mr__Bill

Bill
                              Throughout the yrs I have received specials and many discounts from HF, including permanent weekly 20% off, and I usually used it for things I do not care to last a lifetime.

Recently I’ve been receiving just 15 % off and not on weekly basis. It seems to me that really things are changing, and since then I have not bought anything from them because the only reason that moved me to spend at HF was cheap-prices and specials as the quality is not a lifetime one.

I would say (maybe I’m wrong) that in general matters if you have a shop and need any equipment better buy it now because it could come a time when supplies will not last long or when you will not be able to find it at all…in general. Not just HF.
                              "The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases"....it happens the same with a big shop.

Comment

Working...