• Show
Clear All
  • KC7CN
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2007
    • Deltona, Florida
    • PowerMatic 64A

Off-Set Router Bit Wrench

This is not what you would call an exciting find, but if you have a router table with a lift, you may be interested in this off-set wrench.

I didn't buy one when I bought my PRL lift from WoodPeckers. Later, when I decided to bite the bullet and pay the $20 + shipping they no longer carried the product.

This wrench is a fairly new product for MLCS, and sells for $14.95. A good price considering they have free shipping! They have the standard 1-1/8'' Porter Cable, plus 15/16'', 3/4'' and 7/8'' for other brands.

-Don
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I bought those from Sommerfeld for both my router tables and they are some of the biggest time savers in the shop.
    Chr's

Comment

• charliex
      • Mar 2004
      • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
      • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

About a year ago I used a MAPP torch and a vise to modify one of my PC wrenches to use on the Jessem RT. Works great, less time spent cranking it up/down.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I like the idea, but don't you need two for the PC routers? I do for my 7518.

I am thinking I could get a set of the 'thin' wrench sets and bend a couple for my purposes, like this. Ok, I might need to buy two sets, but the rest might be useful for other needs too.

I like charlie's idea too - could try and bend some I already own. Now to find a heat source .
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• KC7CN
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2007
          • Deltona, Florida
          • PowerMatic 64A

Originally posted by radhak
          I like the idea, but don't you need two for the PC routers? .

One should be enough! Use the stock straight wrench for the top location.

-Don

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by radhak
            I like the idea, but don't you need two for the PC routers? I do for my 7518.
            I need two for my PC693 which is why my router tables both have Triton routers in them. They have a push button spindle lock and the lock automatically engages if the router is raised to the top.

The nice thing about the offset wrenches is that I can leave the router set to it's height and change back and forth between cope and pattern bits and never have to reset the router height.
            Chr's

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • SoCal, USA
              • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

Problem with these type of stamped wrenches that they crack, I hate how they flex and slip off collar. Had to weld my delta BT shaper one. As said, better to heat and bend a forged wrench. Unlike saw blades, router bits need to be tightly torqued. I have done that for car applications.
              Andrew

Comment

Working...